Chapter 10: Jingle Bells, Elena unlocks hell

As the sound of the door slamming from upstairs echoed throughout the Mikaelson mansion, everyone seemed to be on their toes, afraid and anxious. The two – who were left alone – began to look at one another, unknowing of how they would react.

"You had to ruin it, Klaus." Elena said, barley making it out of her mouth. Tears began to rise in her soft-brown eyes. She wanted to speak, but the lump in her throat made the words seem hard to let out.

His eyes were cold and dripped with sadness, as the woman he loved began to tear up in front of him. He then realized that he was the reason why. As she spoke, he let a tear fall – although, Elena didn't realize.

"He had to know." Klaus said, his words trickling with anger – foolishly. But deep down, he was emotionally hurt, he was hurt as he came to his senses – "Elena will never love me. I'm a monster. The bastard son. The pathetic boy." He thought, although he was thinking it, it was the sound of his father – step father's voice that said those horrid words.

Elena walked up to him, their bodies only a couple of centimeters from one another. Their eyes met, both their eyes drenched with tears. She placed both hands on each of his cheeks.

"Klaus, it's him... It will always be Elijah." She said. His eyes widened in sadness and realization. Although she had slept with him, kissed him and told him that she loved him – various of times – she had fallen deeper in love with his brother than with him. As she stopped talking, the world became blurry, became unneeded. He stepped away from her embrace, as he made sure no more tears were let out of his eyes.

"Best be gone then." Was all he managed to let out, his voice was deep and sincere. She had seen the long-lost Klaus Mikaelson, yet she decided that it wasn't good enough, that Elijah was the one.

He began walking off into the parlor leaving her stranded in her thoughts, looking at him – as he walk away.

Elena's POV

I woke up to the sound of glass breaking, my mind instantly wandered to the conversation I had with Klaus last night. I chose Elijah, he makes me happy – truly. Although I tried to convince myself out of walking downstairs, my curiosity got the best of me.

I walked downstairs into the kitchen – where the sound came from. Seeing Elijah and Rebekah cooking with large smiles on their faces.

"Merry Christmas Elena!" Rebekah smiled, holding up the ginger-bread men cookies she and Elijah baked.

"It looks wonderful, doesn't it?" She said, looking down on the baking tray which held the cookies.

Elijah looked at me, with a small smirk. Although it was good to see him happy, I was confused in why he was – considering the information he got last night.

Rebekah placed the baking tray on the counter.

"I'll let you two talk." She said, taking off her mittens that protected her from the heat of the tray.

I walked towards the counter, taking a seat on the stool.

"About last night – I made my decision and I was going to tell you but Klaus..." I said, words instantly spat out. My hands rested on the counter.

Elijah looked at me and smiled, his fingers entwined with mine. I looked down at our fingers, which seemed so perfect.

"I heard the conversation between you and Niklaus, Elena." He assured me. His smile was wide. I smiled at him.

"So what now?" I asked him. The thought of me with Elijah made goosebumps shiver down my back, who thought I'd ever end up with a Mikaelson?

"Whatever you'd like, Elena." He said, smiling.