"Good morning, Mr. Malcolm." Jace greeted and then the business talk started.

Bridget sat across from him and kept on writing stuff down on her notepad while Ariana tuned out most of the conversation which lasted close to two hours.

Ariana knew she had to find the time to go see mum. It was close to a week which was the second-longest she'd gone without going to see her. The first longest was when she'd been undercover for an assignment along with her team which was a year ago.

"...nk you Mr. Malcolm. We'll have to do this again, in person." Ariana heard Jace say as she slowly came back to where she was and out of her head.

"Of course, Jace. Your dad would be proud of you."

Jace had a moment before he finally said goodbye and ended the conversation.

"Phew...that was easier than I thought it would've been." Bridget said,

Ariana folded her hands and watched both of them from where she stood.

"Maybe," Jace shifted his gaze to her for the first time since the call came in and he smiled.

Bridget cleared her throat as she glanced between the both of them.
"I'll be at my desk...outside" She got up and made her way out of his office.

Ariana watched her leave and then looked back down at the street below. Jace still had his gaze on her.

"I still know nothing about you...except for the fact that you skip off late at night to an underground wrestling match."

Ariana turned around to him heading towards the sitting space which was between her and his desk.

"I don't skip."

"Then there's that," he said "You never completely answer my questions. You just give bits and pieces."

Ariana leaned her left side into the window frame, her right side to him as she glanced back and forth from him to the street below.

"You know what I learnt after I got back from the army?"

Ariana looked at him waiting for him to continue.

"The training we got there is only useful for everything that comes with being in the army. Life outside that; Life here in the real world has no use of trainings like that. We need a different kind of training."

"Yea. Well, not that it matters or not that it's going to be anytime soon, I'm planning on..." Ariana was interrupted when someone barged into the office.

She straightened quickly and was soon standing between Jace and the intruder.

The man in the black suit smiled as soon as he found Jace,
"Brother!"

Jace got up, his face instantly hardening as the intruder made his way towards him. Ariana who had pretty much figured out who the intruder was let him walk past her and towards Jace.

"Mark," he said receiving an unwanted hug from him "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry. He didn't let me announce his presence before he walked straight into your office," Bridget said from the door

"It's alright, Bridget."

Bridget nodded and shut the door on her way out.

"What are you doing here, Mark?" Jace asked again,

"I came to see my brother," Mark said, "I just got back yesterday."

"Just got back? I didn't know you weren't in the city." Jace seemed confused,

"Yea, for work as usual. I told her to send you a message when I couldn't get through to you. The company had some issues I couldn't fix over the phone."

Jace nodded his head, slowly. Ariana caught the look Jace had on his face. He was having a hard time believing Mark.

"It's all fine now. I handled everything," Mark's gaze shifted and he froze when he acknowledged Ariana's presence, "Who is this lovely lady?"

Jace looked at her,
"Uh, this is Ariana. She's..."

"...I'm with security."

"Impossible," Mark said, disbelieving,

"I assure you that I am..."

"No, I'm having a hard time accepting that someone as beautiful as you is with security." Mark paused, "Well, it's nice to meet you, Ariana"

Ariana glanced at his outstretched hand and put her hand in his,
"Just Ari."

"Alright then, just Ari, would you maybe like to get a cup of coffee with me sometime?"

Ariana glanced at Jace who waited for her answer as well,
"Of course," She smiled at Mark,

Mark's eyes lit up,
"How about tomorrow?"

"I'll meet you here?"

"Definitely."

"Great." Ariana kept the fake smile on her face.

"See you tomorrow then," Mark smiled,

"See you tomorrow."

"Bye brother," Mark turned to Jace and back to her, "It was nice to meet you, Ari."

"Same here."

Mark headed towards the door and threw her a smile before he walked out and shut the door behind him.

"If you wanted a cup of coffee, Bridget could've made one for you."

"Getting one with your brother sounds more fun."

"Step-brother." he said, annoyed, "And fraternizing with the enemy always has a sense of appeal."

Ariana wanted to tell him that it also made it easy to get information but she was going to let him stew for whatever reason that he was. She went back to her usual spot and Jace went back to his desk, neither of them saying a word to each other.

Something felt different.
Ariana thought again.