Chapter 10 - Vittles and Veracity

Start from the beginning

Kara considered then smiled up at Lena. "My hot boss."

Lena laughed with surprise, leaning back against her desk as she rubbed the back of her neck. "Why thank you, Miss Danvers...my hot employee."

"Why, Miss Luthor, you charmer, you. What would you say if I asked you to have lunch with me today?"

"Of course. We do need to keep our cover-up. Thai?

"Right, our cover." Kara hesitated, biting at her lower lip.

"Is something wrong, Kara? Eve already has our order ready to place unless there is something you'd rather have."

"No, Thai sounds great. Lena, I was thinking—"

At a knock on the door, they both looked up to see James standing just outside the office. He gave them a wave as he stood with a file in hand.

Lena waved him in. "What do you need, Jimmy?"

"I have something to show you," he said laying the file on the table and opening it.

Inside were several photos. The first few were dark, barely visible, but the last few were closer up, the lighting a bit better, and they showed a single figure. It was a woman in a dark suit, not a dress suit but some sort of superhero get up. She had a cape and a cowl with two points on top like long ears. In the one photo where she moved under a streetlight and was caught mid-kick on some poor man, you could see her red gloves, boots, belt, and the red symbol of a bat across her chest. Her long red hair was frozen spinning behind her as her foot connected with the face of the man she was attacking.

"Well, what do you think?" James asked. "This last one is the best. Think we can get it on the cover?"

Lena wiggled her jaw back and forth. "Where did you get these?"

"I took them," James replied with just a touch of hesitancy, his gaze shifting over to Kara momentarily.

"When?" Lena asked.

"Last night."

She looked up sharply. "So, in National City?"

"Yeah. It's Batgirl."

"Bat...woman," Kara corrected.

"Oh...cool. Thanks, Kara. We should run with this," James said. "Kara, get down to the police station and see if you can get a statement. Bring doughnuts. Oh, and don't eat them all this time."

"But they're doughnuts, James."

"Facts then food, Kara, facts then food," James reminded, his hand chopping up and down slightly with each word. "I'll call down to editing and get them to hold the front page for us and a half-page spread on page five. Then I'll—"

"Did I wake you?" Lena said into her phone, getting James' attention.

"What time is it?" Came a sleepy response.

"Morning. I take it you had a late night out."

"Hmmm. Call back after noon, Lena...like 5:00 o'clock."

"I need an interview."

"...what?"

"I have pictures, and I need an interview. When can you be decent?"

"Who is she talking to?" James whispered to Kara.

Kara shrugged.

With a chuckle, the caller said, "Well, that's a loaded question. You can come over now if you want, but I'll be better able to perform after a bit more sleep."