Lies

Recap

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Meagan on a couch watching the coffee shop carefully. I felt relief spread through me. I assumed Jaiden asked Meagan to come with her. That must mean she didn't trust Riley which made me feel a little better. Turning my whole attention to the coffee shop, I tensed at the sight in front of me.

***************************************************************************************************************

Jaiden's POV

Taking a deep breath, I placed my clammy hands around my warm mug. The warmth comforted me some, but I was still anxious to get this talk over with. Riley walked in, and a gasp escaped my lips. He looked horrible. He had dark bruises all over his skin. They covered almost every surface and he was limping. His normally bright blue eyes seemed dull. I had thought my beating had been bad, but now that I look at him I realized that he had it so much worse. I couldn't believe he could function right now. He slowly made his way over to the wooden table I was sitting at, pulled out a chair, and sat down. He looked at me with an emotion in his eyes that I couldn't place. It wasn't a good emotion though. It looked like he was trying to mask his hatred. My eyes were open wide in shock, so I lowered them and tried to look impassive.

"So, I'm guessing you want to know my side of the story," Riley said quietly.

I nodded in response, all words escaping me. Not knowing what to do with my eyes, I looked at my mug filled with light brown coffee with creamer swirling around at the top.

"Well, I took you to my friend's party. Reed and Ashton were also there, but I didn't know that when we first got there. Anyway, it went really well until at one point I realized that we lost each other. We had been dancing, and you and I got separated. I began to panic a little, so I went to look for you. I saw Ashton, and I knew you two knew each other, so I asked him if he had seen you," Riley said stopping.

I nodded my head encouraging him to continue. It was nice to finally get some answers to my questions.

"Ashton said that he saw some guy grab you and take you upstairs. I got really angry then because I didn't understand why he would let some random man grab you. I said some things that made Ashton mad, and he beat me up. That's why I have all of these," Riley informed me while pointing to the purple and black bruises.

"I'm so sorry that this happened," I said to Riley feeling bad.

That must explain the way he was looking at me with hatred. I was the reason all of this happened to him. He just took a friend out to a party, he hadn't asked for all of this. It was my fault he was this beaten. I couldn't believe Ashton. He must really dislike me. He was probably only checking up on me because he felt guilty for what had happened at the party. I really was a burden to Ash, however, that was not a good enough excuse to beat Riley like that.

"There is more," Riley said somberly.

"Okay, tell me the rest," I said nervously.

"After I was beaten up, I used the last bit of strength I had to go try to find you. I knew that the guy had most likely taken you upstairs. I was about to walk up the stairs when I saw Reed. I trust him with my life, so I knew he could take care of you. I told him that you were taken upstairs, and he immediately ran to find you. The man that had taken you had beaten you and attempted to rape you. However, Reed got there in time. He fought the other guy then carried you downstairs to take you to the hospital," Riley said.

"Wait, then how did I end up at the hospital in Ashton's shirt, with him?" I asked confused.

"I'm getting to that," Riley said sharply.