22. What's Next?

I just waited. I sat and just watched the red and blue lights just continue to pass through my visions until eventually they were going down the street. Almost in a haze. It took a while but the police eventually left our home. Everyone went to bed and Rider left and went back home with the boys. I was still with Mimi, things calmed down and Mom had covered the window with a blanket and duck tape. Mimi was livid but while I was almost just numb. Mimi paced back and forth and she continued to babble on about something. Something to do with Jay, she didn't falter with the insults. She sometimes would bring up a plan but go right to insults.

"I mean can you believe the level of this guy?" Mimi rambled, "He's willing to beat people up, cheat, and throw a rock through a person's window just to prove he is right?"

"Mimi."

"I mean what a low life, he's not even shit. He is just a wannabe, knowing he can never be better than Ronan."

"Mimi."

"The thing is, I know somethings about him. Some tiny things."

"Mimi." I pushed my hands on her shoulder and made her come to a stop.

"What?"

"Have you ever started to think that maybe," I paused, "That all of this is too much to deal with? That we got involved with something we don't understand?"

"I mean, I don't know. I've just known the guys for a while." Mimi moved away from me and sat on a chair close to my bed.

"That's not the point though." I sat on my bed. " Mimi, this has gone so far that my house is being threatened. My family and my friends are being targeted. I don't know what kind of things Jay can do but I am not in the mood to risk someone coming close to death."

"So what are you saying?" Mimi clearly was worried for what I was going to say next, but I know it's probably the best next step.

"I don't know, I think I need to lay low from being out in the races and from the group in general, for a little while. Until this calms down." I turned my head away but it needed to be said.

"Are you crazy? That just makes Jay believe he won." Mimi responded, but you could see, she's worried.

"Maybe I am crazy! Maybe I made friends without wondering who they actually were first! Maybe I shouldn't have ever taken your offer to go to the races with you." From this I got up from my bed and paced around my room my hand on my head.

"Kendra." Mimi paused, I could feel her eyes on me even though I didn't look at her. " It would have happened this way anyways. Whether or not you were with me. You were friends with Mike from day one. You hang out with them at lunch. They would have invited you anyways. Eventually."

"Maybe..." I stopped.

"Not maybe. Those guys were probably protecting you from day one. They all connected with you immediately. No doubt about it. The only difference... You wouldn't be with Ronan now. At this moment, if things went different, he probably wouldn't be bothering with you." Mimi stood from her chair. She was right. He wouldn't have bothered with me.

"Rider would probably still be ignoring me. I wouldn't have learned anything."

"Exactly, would you want that?"

"No."

"Good. I mean, I think eventually he would want you because, well look at him, he's absolutely infatuated with you."

"What do you mean?" I looked at her confused.

"Oh don't play dumb with me. He is insanely in love with you. As you are with him." She layed on her back on my bed and pulled her phone out.