0.1

"I'll meet you at the divide, to break the spell. A point where two worlds collide. Yeah, we'll rebel. Oh, and we run, and we run, and we run, and we run. And we run, and we run, and we run. Until we break through. If I get high, if I get high enough, will I see you again?".

If I get high // Nothing But Thieves

Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria.

"Giulia". Daniel sighed and wrapped her up in a hug.

The petite Italian laughed and hugged him back, causing her to slightly step backwards as he almost crushed her. "It's been so long, I can't imagine you're standing in front of me now". Daniel chuckled and pulled away from her, looking at her face. He studied her for a moment. He could remember her as a small girl, she had always been petite, yet she knew how to let other people notice her, a smooth talk and a unique mind set.

Giulia wasn't a little girl anymore, she was a grownup woman, her face not as round anymore, but sculpted features and still the green eyes that lit up her whole being. Her dark brown strands had become only longer, the braces replaced for pearly white teeth. "You look great, must be from all the food you're eating in Australia". Giulia teased him as she leaned against the hood of the car. "Yeah, for sure". Daniel grinned. Giulia had to admit this felt a bit weird, it was so familiar but also so strange at the same time.

Daniel wasn't the tall and slender boy from high school anymore, he still had the nose she always teased him about, but it suited his handsome face. His jaws and cheeks were covered with a dark layer of scruff and she nibbled on her lower lip to not start giggling as she thought back at how hard his 16 year old self tried to grow some facial hair. Daniel still had his raven curls, yet they were nicely styled. His smile had never faded away, still decorating his handsome face.

"You do have to explain how the hell you came here". Daniel mentioned as they walked back to the pit box of Red Bull Racing, where they were busy with setting up the things for the free practices on the circuit of Spielberg the next morning. His arm wrapped around her neck and she squealed as his knuckles ruffled her hair, she always hated it when he did that and she was too small and he was too strong to push away. "Came back to bully your ass". Giulia pushed his side and he laughed as he barely felt a thing.

"Try me". Daniel placed his hand on her head and stretched his arms, she scoffed as she couldn't even reach him and turned around to get out of his grip. "You already know each other?". Simon asked as a frown furrowed his eyebrows. Daniel nodded and handed him his helmet. "We were best friends back in Australia...". "But he had to leave!". Giulia sounded and put her hands in her sides, making both men laugh at her high pitched voice. "You had an opportunity to come with me". Daniel said.

And she nodded, a weak smile showing as she wasn't allowed to follow her best friend around the world as he started racing. Now she understood, she didn't finish school yet and she just started carting and it wasn't guaranteed she found her spot in the racing world too, just like her friend Daniel. They had to let each other go, which wasn't easy, but eventually they both grew over it. Still that didn't stop Daniel from feeling very happy Giulia had found him again.

"However, Giulia Spinelli is here to drive a Formula One car". Daniel reached out to ruffle her hair again, yet she managed to dodge him this time. "Watch it, Ricciardo, I'll steal your seat at Red Bull". The Italian warned and Simon and Daniel laughed again. He loved the way she always pronounced his surname, the Italian accent clearly poking through. Simon introduced himself to Giulia and smiled at the two, looking at Daniel with a smirk on his face.

The Australian rolled his eyes, his engineer knew he had a girlfriend he was very happy with, he was just excited to have his best friend back. "Hey, Dan". He looked up at the Frenchman that came in. Pierre offered him a toothy grin and Daniel smiled back at him. "Pierre". He nodded and briefly looked at the development driver when he seemed to be looking for something or someone. "I'm searching for a small Italian". He said and Giulia let out a squeak from behind Daniel.

"You know each other too?". Simon asked, more confused than ever as the thought they had arranged just a funny video for Red Bull, but every old friend seemed to met up again all in sudden. "She's my girlfriend". Pierre laughed and pulled Giulia into his side. Daniel's eyes slightly widened at the news. He didn't mind of course, he had a girlfriend himself, but just the thought of little Giulia having a relationship made a strange feeling curl through his bloodstream.

"So, that's how you came here". Daniel suddenly understood and Giulia nodded and looked up at Pierre. "He gave Red Bull a hint like, my girlfriend is such a good racer!". She gave them some spirit fingers, which made Pierre chuckle a bit and he moved some of her hair away from in front of her eyes. A blonde girl came into the pit box and looked at Daniel first. "We have a meeting with Puma in a few, so I'm afraid I'd have to pull you away for a bit". She smiled up at Daniel.

Giulia figured it was one of Daniel's crew members, as she wore a Red Bull outfit and had her name stitched on the shirt she wore. "I'm Giulia Spinelli". She politely introduced herself and shook Anna's hand. "Hi! I'm Anna Pamin, Daniel's PR officer. I guess I'll see you around, Giulia". The blonde smiled and signed for Daniel to come with her. "I'll see you later, Gules". Daniel gave her a grin and waved over his shoulder. Giulia smiled and waved back at him.

"I can see you and Daniel can get along already". Pierre smiled and laced his fingers through hers as they made their way towards the paddock. "Get along? We've been like the best friends for so many years back in Australia". Giulia giggled. "What the hell? You knew Daniel before I did?". Pierre furrowed his dark eyebrows at her and she giggled at the confused look on his face. "Yes, we went to the same high school". Giulia explained and Pierre pulled her into his chest.

"He has a girlfriend too, Jemma or something, do you know her?". Pierre asked and slid his hands over her spine to the small of her back. "Jemma?". Giulia gasped and then giggled. "Quoi?". (What?) He asked with a smile. "She never liked me, but she didn't really bother me or something, she just ignored me or gave bitchy answers. Maybe she's a very nice person now". Giulia shrugged and moved her fingers through the hair in the nape of his neck.

"But it must feel strange to suddenly see Daniel again after a lot of time". Giulia nodded and looked into his crystal eyes. "This morning I didn't even know I was going to meet him again". She chuckled and Pierre stroke her face. "I'm taking you out for dinner tonight". He muttered, pressing a kiss on her lips. "Oh, are you?". Giulia playfully said and he nodded. "I won't see you the whole weekend". A pout made his lips even more plumb. Pierre had to race the Super Formula this weekend and was flying out tomorrow morning.

He knew he could leave Giulia on her own and he trusted her fully. "I'll be looking forward to tonight then". She smiled and leaned up to kiss his lips again. Pierre smiled as she walked into the Red Bull hospitality, on her way to sign a contract for her career as a test driver.

Meanwhile, Daniel was back in his motorhome and his phone lit up as he had an incoming FaceTime call of his girlfriend. "Hey Jemma". He smiled brightly at the sight of her face on his screen. "Dan, you sound really happy today". She smiled and leaned her head on her hand to listen to what he had to say. "Oh, you have no idea how crazy this day was". Daniel sighed and sat down on a chair. "Red Bull planned a video for me, where I had to scare a random grid girl by driving her around the track. But the girl herself wanted to drive and it was Giulia, you know her from high school".

Jemma kept a smile on her lips while she pictured the petite Italian in her brain. Her teeth gritted over each other. "Oh, really? That's pretty cool". She tried to sound enthusiastic for him, just because Daniel met his childhood best friend again, which made her think she had to fight for Daniel as she was convinced he had been in love with that Italian girl. "It's amazing to see her again". Daniel shook his head with a smile. "She's going to be the new test driver of our team". Jemma raised her eyebrows at the announcement, yet still remained friendly.

"What an amazing opportunity for her". She answered and Daniel nodded. "What about you? How was your day, babe?". He asked and she relaxed a bit at the nickname he gave her. Jemma told him about her day at work and some other things, hoping Giulia would get out of her mind, but Daniel kept mentioning her. "Pierre, he's on our team, is her boyfriend. Wouldn't it be nice to ask them out once?". He suggested and Jemma nodded. "Yeah, sure". She smiled and faked a yawn.

"I'm very tired, do you mind if we call again tomorrow?". Daniel shook his head at what she said. "Of course not, sleep well. I love you". He blew her a kiss and she giggled. "I love you too". Jemma ended the FaceTime call and sighed, leaning her head back on the pillows. She hoped the relationship between Daniel and Giulia would stay only friendly, but she was afraid it wouldn't remain that way.