Chapter 16 [SAMPLE]

Začít od začátku

"No, seriously, what is this?" he says through a mouth full of food.

Hearing his appreciation, Sofia and I glance at one another, satisfied with our work.

"It's chilaquiles, carne ranchera, and huevo ranchero. Or at least close to what we could make with what you guys had in the fridge," I tell him in my mother tongue before placing a plate in front of the guy with blue eyes I met yesterday.

Blue eyes nods in gratitude, and he elegantly places a napkin on his lap. I lift a brow at his sophistication.

"I don't understand half the things you said, but it's good," Luca praises, taking another bite of the chilaquiles. I laugh before explaining to him in English what the food is.

"Where is this dish from? And what language do you speak?" Blue eyes asks after swallowing a bite of food and wiping the corners of his mouth.

He notices my curious stare and gives me his name. "I'm Angelo," he introduces himself with his right hand outstretched for me to shake. There's a gentle smile stretching on his full lips.

I shake his hand, and his grip is firm.

"Victoria," I say before answering his question as I serve myself a plate. "And it's a Mexican dish. Our family is from Mexico." Angelo nods, and his eyes trail to something behind me.

My forehead furrows from the gesture, and I turn, only to bump into a broad chest covered in a perfectly pressed black button-down shirt. My lungs constrict from the familiar scent. A strange mix of uneasiness and excitement washes over me. The excitement I could do without, considering he's a stranger.

I have to keep reminding myself of this, but even then, the stupid flutters won't go away.

A pair of intense forest-green eyes pin me in place. I give a nervous smile, and Leo's eyes flicker with an unknown emotion.

I don't know what takes over me, but I lift the plate in my hand, ready to give it to him, and Leo looks at the plate hesitantly.

"It's not poisoned." My voice comes out with a hint of offense, and his eyes widen in panic.

"I know it isn't." He pauses and rubs the back of his neck. "This is your plate."

When he says this, my stomach flutters and I curse myself.

"Just take it. I can serve myself another plate," I assure him, this time forcing it into his hands.

Although he has us trapped here, he's a somewhat better host than Adriano. Making them breakfast is the least Sofia and I can do, and who knows, maybe he'll let us go if we befriend them. My mom always did say the way to one's heart is through their stomach.

Leo hesitates at first, but when he sees how serious I am, he takes the plate from my hand. When he grabs it, our fingers touch, and electricity passes through us, shocking me.

My body warms, and Leo's intense gaze has me looking behind him. I'm desperate to find anything to distract myself from the warm, tingly feelings his touch brings me.

The kitchen is silent, and everyone looks at us, making me more nervous.

I lick my lips, willing the dryness away, and turn around to serve myself a plate to hide from everyone's intense gaze.

As I grab a plate, Leo places a hand on mine, stopping me.

My brows draw together in confusion when he grabs the plate from my hand, and I watch as he puts food on it before handing it back to me. This gesture makes everyone in the room drop their mouths.