"My dad was too deep in the game to get out though. He was gunned down on the streets when my moms was eight months pregnant. So he never got to meet me. Tony took over all the responsibilities of being my father and mama just let him."

"Damn August." Bethany said, grabbing my hand.

"Yeah. I don't know how to feel."

"It's okay to be confused, or sad even. You didn't know him but that was still your father."

I shook my head with a sigh.

"Man, and that ain't even the messed up part. Mama is still alive."

Bethany squinted her eyes, then they nearly bust out of her head.

"What! How? When? What the-"

I nodded as she sat up straight and crossed her legs.

"Yep."

"Hold up." She picked Angel up and sat her in her playpen on the floor before sitting crossed-legged beside me on the bed. "Okay, explain to me what the hell is going on?"

I explained about my mama calling me earlier and telling me to come back to NOLA.

"Sooo she never had cancer?" Bethany questioned.

"I have no damn idea."

"Wow. This is crazy."

"You telling me? All the people in my life are a damn lie, except my baby girls and you." I shook my head again. "It's fucked up. I was already gonna try and get back home within the next couple weeks or so, but all this shit got me wanting to leave asap."

She sent a hesitant look my way.

"How soon is asap?"

"Next couple days?" I glanced at her, waiting for her reaction.

"Hm." She raised an eyebrow. "Okay."

"Okay? That's cool with you?"

"August you're a grown ass man, why are you asking me?" She laughed.

I sucked my teeth.

"Cause ion want yo fine ass mad at me for going without you and Ang."

"Like I said August, as long as you come back I'll be fine."

An idea hit me.

"Well why don't y'all just come with me?" I said.

I immediately noticed how uncomfortable she is.

"Um, I don't know about that..."

"Why? C'mon B, it'll be like a lil mini family vacation." I poked my bottom lip out and fluttered my eyelashes. "Pleaaasssee B."

"August I don't know. I haven't been home in over a year. I don't really have much to go back to..."

"What you mean? You into it wit ya parents or something? When did they happen? "

"Long story short, my sister's biological father is my dad's brother, my mom hates me cause my daddy finally divorced her ass." She fanned her hand in the air, completely unbothered. "I don't need that negative energy in my life anymore."

"Daaamn. Yo mama was getting down like that?" I put my fist to my mouth to cover my shocked expression.

She nodded, then rolled her eyes at me.

"Don't act like you're not amused."

"It is kinda funny cause your mama finally got what she deserved, no offense cause that's still ya mama. But damn...I'm pretty much in the same boat as ya sista."