prologue - nothing for me here.

re-written: 12/14/17

[hopefully my writing's slightly better.]

"One way to get the most out of life is to look at it as an adventure." - William Feather

~

16:36 p.m.

journal.

sometimes people wish for impossible things. something as stupid as having all the money or power in this world. or even immortality. but all i ever wanted was a life in a place where i could truly belong. everyone says it's better to be unique and different to "stand out" but really, let's be honest...being normal, having an understanding, caring family, the love of your life and an amazing career in what you do. that's normal. so really, do we truly want to be different? or do we desire the things in this world that many others also do?

The pen went still in her hand. Kat's eyes scanned the page, her thoughts coming to a halt.

Technically, she still had multiple ideas and thoughts still running around in circles in her brain. But she didn't have thoughts, thoughts. The ones that make you scribble furiously, so fast that your paper could catch on fire. She was like that at first but then it got calmer and calmer and then...stopped. Meaning her journal entry for the day was done. No matter how short it seemed to her. She didn't know how this worked honestly. Were journal entries supposed to describe your day? Your feelings? She didn't even know if they were supposed to be in a certain order. She never wrote daily or was even organized in her writing. She just wrote whenever she got that "muse" as they call it. Whether it's when she's about to fall asleep, shower or even when she's supposed to be crossing the street.

Like right about now.

A yellowish color flashed from the corner of her eye, and Kat looked to the side right as a car happened to be driving in that same exact direction.

The yellowish flash turned out to be the headlights. The car's horn rang a unpleasant sound, but its effect worked as Kat finally realized...

She was in a street.

Crossing.

And the minute for crossing just ended.

With a start, she gasped, grabbing the journal almost desperately and rather clumsily jumped back into the safe haven that marked the block.

Barely a moment later, the same car screeched to right where she stood moments before. The driver who to Kat's surprise was an elderly woman, sporting a rather revealing halter top, glanced at Kat and yelled, "IF YOU'RE SUICIDAL GO TO THE DAMN HOSPITAL! BUT DON'T STAND THERE EXPECTING ME TO PAY HEALTH INSURANCE WHEN I RUN YOU OVER, GRANDMA!"

Before Kat could even reply, the old lady sped away, mumbling under her breath all the while.

It took Kat a moment to register what happened.

I almost died and she didn't even have lollipops. Whatever God there is out there, feel free to take me now. I saw it all.

After taking a few more moments of letting her thoughts run a little wild, she sighed and crossed the street. This time making sure to pay attention to her surroundings, even the fact that there was a little ant on the edge of the street. For its sake, she hoped that the same thing that almost happened to her wouldn't happen to it.

Kat turned the corner without hesitation, having walked down this area millions of times and reached a rather plain brick house that was connected to similar looking houses. But where as they had a more "homey" look, adorned with either small trinkets or a colorful door and little plants, hers was just bare and naked in comparison.