Chapter 24 - Biggest fear

- Monday, October 30th -

"Is he okay?" Sam sounds worried and like he's holding back some anger. I bet if he wouldn't have to go to work today, he would drive right here to punch Emma in the face. I know he isn't afraid to hit girls. Not that I've ever seen him hit a girl, but still I just know he will if he needs to.

"Yeah, he's still sleeping right now. I believe he's been awake most of the night. He was pretty restless and it's my fault. I shouldn't have asked him to join us in church."

"Well, you couldn't know it bothers him this much. For all I know he's acting pretty though about the subject of parents and family. And you couldn't predict that bitch would be there, right?"

"You're right about the last part, but Finn has never really been much of a talker, always bottling up things. I've been friends with him for fifteen years, I should have seen through his though act."

"Stop blaming yourself, Cris. You can't protect him from everything. You can support him in everything, yes. But protect? Sorry, that'll be a nope." He sighs deeply. "So, what is it you wanted to talk about with me? I do not believe you're calling me to talk about Finn's behaviour, because you have friends that know him better than I do."

"True, was I being that obvious?"

"Subtlety isn't your best asset, my dear friend."

"Right, I knew that already."

"So?"

"Well, Emma and Finn had sort of like a small discussion about who's to blame for what and Emma named Alex. I didn't know she even knew about his story, but she appears to know something."

"So, what's your question?"

"Do you know if they know each other or something?"

"I have to admit it isn't the first time I hear her name. You're not the first one to talk to me about some bitch named Emma, who happens to be friends with that Jeffy guy."

"Did Alex mention her?"

"Look, Cris, does it matter? I'm not sure and it has been years. If he did mention her, he did it before he went missing and came back all fucked up. I was on his side during the trial and Emma was mentioned because she had something to do with Finnley's case. I don't know if I'm mixing things up or if they did meet before. I really don't know."

"I just feel like none of them told the whole story," I admit, feeling a bit cranky. "If she had something to do with Alex too, maybe she had a bigger part in everything and now she's out here again. It scares me a bit because she seems to be obsessed over Finn. She's wearing his sweaters, telling him she still loves him. How he should be with her in order to reconcile with his family... I want her out and if she had a bigger part we might get her back in jail."

"The case is closed and she was convicted already. Alex was abducted because he fucked up with Jeff and that's it, Cris. Stop worrying about the past, start focussing on the present. Finn's your boyfriend now, right? Isn't that what you wanted?"