Chapter Thirty Two - Part 3

Chapter Thirty Two                   

by sloanranger

Part 3

Before the ambulance arrived Paula walked into her house and grabbed her purse and keys.  Her  car was in the driveway. She calmly got into it and drove away.  

When the ambulance did arrive, Elaine told them that her stomach needed to be pumped and fast - and that something was very wrong with Paula. The ambulance took both she and Billy, who they wanted to check out, also.

Paula was found just leaving Marie's house with the twins. Elaine's version was believed to the extent that Children's Services were called for the twins while Paula was taken in for questioning. Elaine was questioned at the hospital after her medical needs were attended to.

Police contacted Steve and he was already there when Tom Rettig arrived. Steve was livid. He was extremely angry at his wife but he was even more so at Tom. He wasn't shy about showing it.

"How come you didn't see this coming," Steve said furiously. "You knew both of them! For crying-out- loud you're married to one of them!"

"Steve," Elaine said. "It's just as much my fault. I should have believed Cassie."

"So should have Tom. He's her husband."

Not wanting to have anymore said with Billy in the next room, Elaine finally got him calmed down.

"I'm okay." She stroked Steve's face softly and kissed his cheek.

Over the next few weeks, things sorted themselves out. Not for Paula, of course. Paula was arrested and eventually put into a place similar to the one where Cassie had been - only it had bars on the windows and it was unlikely she would ever be let out.

(To be continued).