Chapter Twenty Six - Part 4

Chapter Twenty Six                 

by sloanranger

Part  4

"There was a pond, a good sized one not far from Aunt Lana's house. We kids swam in it during the summer. Paula tried to drown me in it at least three times, twice after she'd hit me with the rocks. She did drown two cats that I know of. She used to play at killing her dolls.

Elaine was nervous now, thinking of her own incident with Cass.

As if she could read her mind, Cass looked up.

"Elaine, I was only trying to help that day in the pool. I can't believe you thought I'd hurt you." 

Cassie wore the stricken look she'd had that day at the pool.

Now Elaine was confused - maybe both sisters were crazy. She honestly didn't know what to believe.  Maybe it's me that's going nuts, she thought.

Cassie continued: "That's why Mama sent her to live with Aunt Lana. I think she'd always known about Paula and after the first hammer incident and the cats, she couldn't take any more chances. She's dangerous, Elaine."

Elaine stayed quiet for a minute or so trying to digest everything.

 "Elaine, why do think I became such a good swimmer and made sure that Billy did, too?" Cass continued: "I was always terrified she might somehow get her hands on Billy."

Well, that made a lot of sense and suddenly Elaine didn't know how to tell Cass what she'd come here to tell her – warn her, really.

(To be continued).