Chapter Thirty - Part 2

Chapter Thirty One               

by   sloantranger  

Part 2

Paula came back in a few moments with the teapot and cups on a tray. After placing the tray on the table though, she didn't sit. She walked over to the French doors and looked out into the yard.

"Have you seen my roses?"

Elaine got up. "Yes I have, they're lovely. Did you plant them yourself?"

"I did most of the work."

"Well, you've done a wonderful job, they're really beautiful." Elaine said, truthfully.

"You know the thing about roses, once they're planted, if they take well they require very little care."

"I didn't know that, "Elaine said. "I thought they were very labor intensive."

"No, not at all, but most people think that."

"Maybe you've just got a green thumb."

"Hardly – black, more like." And she went over to the fireplace. Elaine thought she seemed preoccupied.

"I guess you've heard about Cassie by now?" Elaine said.

"Just something about her going to the hospital, is she all right?"

"It may be a while before Cassie's 'all right.'" Elaine answered. After a pause she decided to be direct. "Paula what's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what the hell is there between you and Cassie?"

 Paula returned to where Elaine was sitting and picked up the teapot. Her hand shook markedly as she poured tea.

She's agitated over something, Elaine thought and she wondered for a second why Paula was so nervous. Then it occurred to her, she still cares for Cassie, even after everything that's happened. Well, why wouldn't she, Elaine thought, Cass is her sister. Elaine thought of all she'd read about how there was such strong a strong link between twins.

(To be continued).