Chapter Twenty One - Part 8

Chapter Twenty One                        

by sloanranger

Part  8

"Yes." She came and sat back down. "There was nothing wrong with his heart; nothing except maybe the longing for his son."               

"But you had quit looking for them by then?"

"We hired people from time to time but it was like I told you, she just disappeared after Los Angeles without a trace. To be honest, I think Bill's heart was only halfway in it. He always felt guilty about leaving her for me. It was like he thought the baby was a consolation prize for her or something. Of course, he never said anything like that to me - but I knew."

"So you think Cassie killed both of them?" Elaine had an incredulous look on her face.

Paula cleared her throat and stood. "Would you like some more tea?"

 Elaine declined.  "No, I think I'd better be going, now."

And she did. Picking up her purse, she left in a daze.

All the way home her head was swimming. There was so much to take in. That her best friend could be a killer overwhelmed her, and she did not know whether she believed Paula or not.

Still, the story that Paula told would explain so many things. More than anything, it explained the extreme protective behavior Cass had always demonstrated over Billy.

If what Paula said was true, Cassie must have been on constant lookout that her sister might show up and reclaim him - her Mom had been right, it seemed.         

On the way home she was so distracted, Elaine missed her exit on the turnoff.  Then she realized she'd forgotten to give Paula the copies of the gym contract and waiver that had been her excuse for the visit.

(To be continued).