Chapter 22

Ezra's POV

I look at her but she still has her eyes closed. I kiss her lips hoping that something happens. I know life is not a fairy tale, but it doesn't hurt to try. Nothing happens though, so I pick her up and start walking towards the door.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry I did this to you." I say while tears run down my cheeks.

As I reach the car I struggle to get the keys out of my pocket. That's when I hear it. At first, I don't even pay much attention but then I hear it again.

When I look down at the little brunette in my arms I notice that the little moans are coming out of her mouth. Staring at her, I see her struggling to open her eyes and talk.

I turn around and hurry back to the house. As soon as I walk in the living room, I lay her fragile body on the couch. It seems like she is too weak to move or just open her eyes. I run to the kitchen to get her something to eat but when I open the fridge it's empty.

Thousands of thoughts fill my mind but I quickly push them away. Although, there's one that won't leave: 'has she been starving herself? And if so, was it because of me?', and my eyes water just with the possibility of that being true.

I rummage through the cabinets but can't find anything that she can eat so I get a cup of water and sugar, hoping that it helps her, for now.

I go back to the living room and give it to her. She accepts and drinks it, with her eyes still closed, and gives it back to me after a while. I put in on the coffee table, bent down and look at her.

"Ezra..." she whispers.

"Hey... It's going to be ok. I'm going to take you to the hospital and you'll be fine."

"Don't..." she says.

"Don't what?" I ask, confused.

"Don't take take me to the hospital. Please."

"Aria, you can't be serious. You need to go." I say, trying to sound as calm as I can.

She doesn't say anything for a while. Then she opens her eyes and my gaze meets hers. I want to caress her cheek and kiss her and assure her that everything will be ok... to tell her how sorry I am, how I didn't mean what I said but I know that now is not the right time.

"How are you feeling?"

"Could be better..." she jokes and tries to change to a sitting position but failing.

"I need to take you to the hospital right now." I say, getting up and ready to pick her.

"No."

"Aria, you need to be seen by a doctor. You fainted and stayed unconscious for a few minutes. You might have hurt yourself when you fell and you can barely move."

"Ezra..." she starts, "I don't need to go to the hospital."

"Aria..."

"No, listen to me. I don't need to go. I know exactly what's happening and a hospital is the last thing I need right now, please believe me."

"How do you know that? I'm sure they would help you."

"I just know." She says and looks down, and I immediately know that she's hiding something. "Do you trust me?" She whispers.

"Uhh, yes..?" I say, but it comes out more a like a question and she looks at me as if waiting for another answer, "Yes, I do."

"Then please, don't take me to the hospital. I just need to rest and eat. Please..?"