9

Tomas walked us over to the head of the table and sat me down on the right hand side of Tomas' seat at the head of the table. Tomas helped me shuffle closer to the table and then sat down himself. Everyone was quiet and still for a moment before someone coughed, breaking the trance everyone was under and they went back to taking their places. 

It seemed that everyone who lived here in the main house was in their early to late 20s and hadn't mated yet. It seemed to mostly be made up of boys, but there were some girls splattered around, thankfully Ashleigh was not here. Everyone seemed to know each other and there was a lot of laughter, jokes and a lot of playfulness in the way they were acting. I bet a lot of them grew up together and some of them were probably even siblings. 

Once the food had been passed around, which tonight was either spagetti bolognas or cheese and ham quiche and the accompaniments were garlic bread, salad and various sauces, everyone started a hum of chatter. 

"So you're Kate?" A girl on the other side of the table asked me. She was about 25 with flaming red hair, freckles and green eyes. She was eating the quiche with salad. She was in a red tank top and her red hair was down to her shoulders. 

"Yes, Kate Pine, may I ask your name?" 

"Christine Keen, I'm the Head Doctor's eldest daughter." 

"So you have siblings?" 

"Yes, 4, 1 other sister and 3 brothers."

"Were your parents mates?" 

"Yes, but I have some friends that are from breeders." 

"Friends? So they weren't made to do chores or taken away for training?"

"Yes and no, the boys were still sent to do training, but they weren't sent away, they stayed at home and the girls weren't made to do chores, they finished school and then were offered jobs, which they get paid for."

"They actually went to school, like physically?" I asked, which I was very surprised about because although my sisters and I were educated until we are 11, we weren't allowed to go on from there. We also didn't physically go to a school building like most children did and so we were educated by our mother, but she herself had a limited education, so we were taught basics. My brothers were sent to proper schools and it had a training section to it, which is where they were taught to be warriors. Once we hit 11, we were made to do actual chores rather than just watch our mother or some of the other breeders work. 

"Yeah, but they focused more on the home sciences and sewing." Christine said as she took another bite from her food. "Why? Did you not go to school?" 

"No, my female siblings and I were taught by our mother till we were about 11 because that was the age she stopped learning. We were then set to work." I said as I fiddled with my food before finally taking a bite. 

"That's...that's..."

"Life." I finish for her. "For a lot of breeders and their children." 

After that, lunch sort of took on a somber tone and no one really talked to me about my life prior to coming here. Many non-breeder children do not seem to look or realise what is going on to breeder children and their mothers, especially their mothers. Some of the mothers are treated horrendously and some are beaten, raped and passed around when they cease to be of use as a breeder. People don't want to realise the horror that the world has to offer until they are threatened with it. 

After Lunch, Tomas took me into his office and showed me around it, to show me what he did and what I might have to do when I am able to take over as Luna. He sat me down and I could see that my breeder file was down on his table. I couldn't help, but touch it and think about opening it. Tomas saw me looking and stared at the brown file. 

"What does it have in there?" 

"Everything; your parentage and lineage, your results from your tests, your features, where you are from and how much...how much I paid for you." 

"Aren't you technically entitled to a refund?" 

"How do you figure that out?" 

"Well you weren't sold a breeder. You were sold a pure wolf and your mate to boot." 

"Technically, you are correct, but they will have wired some of that money to your father already." 

"Ah yes, I doubt he'll give his cut back, I'm afraid." I gave Tomas a weak smile. 

"What is your father like?" 

"Ridged in his rules and can be very strict. He was hardest on the boys and I think he was disappointed that my sister, Leah, wasn't a good breeder and so she had to stay in the pack I was born into. My father loved the fact that he had many sons, but I think he wanted a few more daughters, for the money and he only got 2 good ones. Most of my brothers are warriors and so I don't really know them."

"Do you think he knows about your wolf?" 

"No, mum never told him and she never allowed me to shift when he was at home, so I didn't shift all that much to the point that when I did, it would hurt." 

"Would you want to tell him?" 

"No, please don't. He might hurt my mum for not telling him." I stared down at the file and then up at Tomas. "So, will you try to get a refund?" 

"There is no point in me getting a refund because if I did they might try to take you back and then your dad would find out about you, etc." Tomas explained as he came over to me. I stood up and he cuddled me. I snuggled my face into his chest and breathed in his scent. "Would you like to see the guest room that we will be staying in while our room is being redone?"

"How will the room be redone?" 

"All the furniture that is in there will be gotten rid of and we will choose new furniture together as well as new carpets and once everything is perfect, we will move back in." Tomas said, his face close to mine. My breathing hitched in my throat and his eyes looked me up and down. He leaned in closer to me, his breath getting hotter and hotter the closer he got. My heart rate jumped up higher and higher as he got closer to me. When his lips pressed to mine, it was like sparks had been shot through my body and my heart was beating so fast I thought he was going to jump out of my chest. My body also got very warm and I entwined my fingers into his hair. When we broke apart, we were both gasping for air and he seemed as flushed as I was. 

"Wow." I whispered. 

"I'll say." Tomas said and when he stepped back I could see how much I had affected him. He looked sheepish and coughed before adjusting himself. "To the guest room."