Chapter 39

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Readers Pov

"There you are- How are your hands?" Fred asked at lunch. 

"They're better now," I mumbled, looking down at the potion-soaked bandages.

After Hermione had been released from the Hospital Wing, I had sat for another two hours soaking my hands in the potion. Pomfrey had to change the potion about three times, and each time I took my hands away, they began to sting again. Finally, Madam Pomfrey had gotten most of it off. She decided that I could go to lunch if my hands were wrapped in potion-soaked bandages. 

"You had us all worried," George said.

"Thought you were a goner for sure," Lee chirped, stuffing his face with mashed potatoes. 

"Your concern is overwhelming, Lee." I said sarcastically and sat by Fred. 

"I know," He agreed happily. 

"By the way, thanks, Freddie. For getting most of the potion off when it first spilled on me."

"Didn't like seeing you hurt," He shrugged and I thought I noticed a small bit of pink on the tips of his ears.

"Has anyone seen Hermione?" I asked, changing the subject.

They shook their heads but George spoke, "I saw Harry and Ron earlier. They said something about her being alright."

I nodded, "That's good. It looked so painful."

Fred gaped, "And you weren't in the slightest bit of pain?"

"Oh, no, it was terrible- still is. Just wanted to check on Hermione. I know she'll get most of the hate."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, 'Mione. How're you?" I asked the next day.

I was finishing a Charms essay in the library when I saw her browsing a nearby shelf. She looked up from the book and smiled before sitting next to me. 

"I'm okay. A lot better than yesterday. What about you?" She held up her hands; they had nearly returned to normal.

I held up my own bandaged ones, "Much, much better. Pomfrey said they should be completely healed by tomorrow morning. So, has Harry found out what the third task is?"

"Has Fred asked you out yet?" She asked with a smirk.

"What? No!" I shouted, flustered at the sudden change in conversation.

"Same answer for your question."

I groaned, "Couldn't you have just said 'no' like a normal person?"

She shrugged, "Just checking to see if he's made a move or not."

"No, he hasn't... See how easy that was? Just answering the question?"

She chuckled, "At this rate, you two will never get together. I'm telling you, Y/n, you need to be the one to make the first move."

I flushed, "No! No, there will be no 'move-making' because I don't fancy him, and he doesn't fancy me."

She gave me the 'really?' look, "Sure, and what's the real reason you won't confess your feelings?"

I mumbled under my breath.

"Speak up, Y/n/n," She sighed. 

"What if he doesn't like me back? And then I'd of made a fool of myself, and our friendship would be over. He did ask someone else to the Yule Ball if you hadn't noticed." I said quietly.