Chapter 3: An almost kiss

Start from the beginning

"Where were you today?" I demanded.

"I just wanted to apologize in person for being gone so much," Wes put the guitar down and walked around the counter so he stood next to me. I turned so I could look at him when I talked.

"You didn't answer my question," I folded my arms and look up at Wes.

"Fine I'll just tell you that I had some family business to tend to."

"Uh huh Sure," I said, still not believing him. "Why did you ask me to come here? Did you desperately miss me since you didn't get to see me at school?" Sarcasm dripped off every word. Then the strangest thing happened; Wes blushed! He actually blushed. The most startling shade of red. Why did he blush? What did I say? And why does his blush make him even more attractive? These thoughts must have shown on my face because he quickly recovered. A smart remark at the ready.

"No I thought I would be a gentleman and apologize in person."

"Some how I don't believe you." I said with a glare.

"Fine you got me," Wes put his hands up in surrender. "I asked you to come here so I could look at your pretty face." The smirk on his lips said he was sarcastic but the look in his eyes were too honest for that. It almost looked like he meant it. The whole effect was confusing so I said the first come-back that came to mind.

"Wes can you please be serious for one second? Or is that impossible?"

"Impossible," An infuriating grin followed his reply.

"Ugh, fine if you aren't going to tell me what you want I'm leaving," I turned to go.

"Adelle wait!" Wes grabbed my elbow. At his touch a shock traveled up my arm and spread through my body before wrapping itself like a blanket around my heart. All from one small touch. I wonder what kissing him would be like. Wait, where did that thought come from? Wes turned me back to him and placed his fingertips under my chin, tilting my face up to his until I looked him in the eyes. Oh gosh, he was so close. The smell of him intensely intoxicating, sweet mint and something I couldn't place my finger on. Something so heady and so entirely masculine it could only be described as Wes.

"Don't go." Wes practically whispered. I couldn't seem to look away from him. His steel gray eyes held me, capturing my soul. I knew I should have stepped back. I knew I should have left a long time ago but I was drawn to Wes like a moth to flame. And as much as I wanted to deny it I couldn't, I was starting to have feelings for Wes and I didn't know how strong they where going to be. Wes was like a magnet, pulling me in. Always pulling me in.

I was standing so close to Wes, all I wanted was to be wrapped in his arms and held tight. Wes's eyes drifted to my lips and I was surprised as a wave of fierce longing swept through me, wrapping itself around my heart. Wes leaned in and my breath caught. He was inches away. He brushed his lips softly, barely whispering against mine and I immediately wanted more.

But suddenly my phone rang. I jumped back, putting distance between Wes and I. I hurriedly turned to my purse sitting on the counter - When did it get there?- and rooted through it until I found my phone, my movements were so flustered and jerky. Had I really just almost kissed Wes? I dared a glance up at him and instantly regretted it because he had an annoyingly amused smile on his perfect face that made me blush. I quickly looked away and answered my phone.

"Hello?" I asked trying to sound at least semi normal.

"Adelle where are you? You haven't answered any of my texts and I've sent like a million!" I cringed as my best friend Abby yelled at me.

"Sorry, I was- um, I had my music turned up really loud and I didn't hear my phone go off." I was so bad at lying it was almost comical.

"Uh huh like I believe that."

"Sorry?" I provided again.

"Whatever, I was just calling to to tell you that I have a fashion emergency!" Abby practically squealed.

"Oh no! What is it?" I feigned interest.

"I need a dress to the fall formal!" She wailed.

"Uh isn't that at the end of the month?"

"Yes exactly! I need to find a dress before all the good ones are bought!"

"Well Abby it's a Monday and I'm actually busy right now." I glanced at Wes and the look on his face made me blush. Again. "So I'll see you tomorrow and we can go dress shopping this weekend. Bye!" I quickly ended the call. Without looking at Wes I grabbed my purse and frantically tried to leave, wanting to get out of there as fast as humanly possible. Trying to save myself from any further humiliation.

"Well I, uh, better go home now." I finally look at Wes, he had a knowing look on his face that made me so confused but still had the power to make me blush. How does one boy make me blush so easily? Curse my pale skin. "Sorry you couldn't tell me what you wanted" I put a hand on the doorknob and walked out almost missing Wes's reply.

"I just needed to see you." Wes said it so softly it pulled at my heart. It sounded so sincere, no trace of mockery in his voice. And as soon as I got in my car and drove away the feeling of loss hit me so hard I had tears streaking down my cheeks and I couldn't breathe. All I wanted to do was run straight back to Wes.

Authors Note

It was really exciting to write this chapter because of the drama between Wes and Adelle. I'm so excited to be writing this book and I can't believe how many people have read it! Please keep voting and commenting! Any feedback is welcome. I want to know what you guys think of my book. And thank you so much for reading!