Day Ten

Day Ten

Marko's Point of View -

I ran my hand through my hair. After I yelled at Claire in Central Park she ran from me and I trudged off, feeling nothing but a drunken numbness.

I was able to get back to the bar, about to walk through the door when sirens echoed off the buildings around me. I watched as the ambulance booked past me, hoping it wouldn't turn the corner and head towards Charlie's. I watched as it slowed down, turning the corner sharply, my heart crashing in my rib cage as horrifying thoughts of Claire entered my mind.

I took off running and ran all the way there, but by the time I got there the place was blocked off by cops and the ambulance was pulling away.

That's when I began to call Claire, worried for her safety.

I ran all the way home to see if she was there, hoping and praying that she came back here after I yelled at her.

"Claire? Claire?"

I slammed the door shut and stopped when I saw Brant sitting at the dining room table, staring at nothing.

I threw the whiskey bottle across the room.

"Shit."

I pulled out my phone, dialing her number.

*Hello, this is Claire Marie! I'm not here right now obviously so if you could leave a message for me and I'll get back to you ASAP and if it's during the night I'm sorry! Thanks, bye!*

I pressed the end button, running my hand through my hair, dialing her number again.

"Marko, what the hell? Are you drunk?"

I ignored Brant and waited for her to pick up. No answer.

"Dammit Claire, pick up, pick up!"

My phone was snatched from my hand and I looked up at Brant.

"Where's Claire?"

I ran my hands through my hair and began pacing the room.

"I don't know man, I don't know."

Brant watched me, his eyes widening.

"You hurt her...didn't you?"

I shook my head no and he grabbed ahold of me, pushing me up against the wall.

"What the fuck did you do to her Marko?"

"I told her I didn't love her!"

He let go of me and I slid to the floor. My heart began to break in my chest as the emptiness of the apartment, of my whole life just resonated. Without Claire...I was literally nothing.

"I told her that...I didn't love her and that she deserves better and that she's in danger around me."

Brant fell back into a chair and stared into nothing, lost. He smashed his fist into the table, making me jump.

"Marko, how the fuck could you do that? She loves you and you-you – "

I stood up.

"I did it to protect her! Since you're making the stupid mistake of getting involved with those drug dealers again, if you screw up they will go after her Brant! They'll go after her! I can't let those bastards hurt her! I can't..."

Brant was quiet, staring at me with wide eyes. Tears began to fall down my cheeks and I shook my head.

"She's gone."

Neither one of us spoke and I slid back down to the floor. Brant pulled out his phone, shaking his head.

"No, just, no. This can't be happening. She-she's not gone she's just mad at you right now. You're going to apologize to her and she-she'll come back."