Letters to a Memory |10|

Shirayuki stretched,yawning,her eyelids feeling heavy.

The sleepy red-haired pharmacist rose from behind her desk,flipping the herb dictionary she was poring over shut. 

"Ah-- gosh!" 

The stack of books the clumsy herbalist knocked over accidentally crashed to the floor,creating a din that startled the sleepiness out of her. 

"Oh..these books. I should keep them away. I won't be needing these for the moment," Shirayuki mumbled to herself while she picked up the books. 

"Eh...?" Shirayuki let out a small,confused sound as she felt the little slip of paper between the yellowed pages of one of the volumes. 

She dropped the others onto her desk as she pulled the note out. 

"This is..."

_______________________________________

Dear Shiro,

I'm sure you must be surprised to suddenly receive a letter from me. This is Shirayuki. Do you remember me?  I know I should have been writing a letter to you so many years ago,but it slipped my mind,and well,here we are. I apologize. I hope you forgive me. Trust that I still hold your friendship close to my heart.

I came across your mail address as I was packing up some things,and today,I decided to write to you,in hopes of finding the easiness and comfort I felt in the short six months I knew you. I have had a lot on my mind lately,and wanted to turn my focus away from the present. What better thing to do,than to relieve some childhood memories with a friend I have missed so?

Oh dear,am I coming off as selfish? What I meant to say was,I enjoyed being your friend in those six months of our childhood,and now that I have found your mail address again,I want to continue being your friend. 

In these many years that I have lost contact with you,I studied medicine and became a royal herbalist in Clarines. I reside in the Wistal Castle now. It's a beautiful place,and the people there are very kind. Even the royalty.  Oh,and do you remember (y/n)? The girl with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes,who liked (hobby)? She became a royal blacksmith some time after,in Clarines too. 

So,I was wondering,where have you been? What're you working as now? Has life been good to you?

Your red-haired friend,

Shirayuki

_________________________________________

Shirayuki ran her tired eyes over the message for the umpteenth time,and blew out her candle,the fire disappearing in a wisp of smoke.

The room plunged into darkness.