I sighed as I thought about those days.

"So, that means tomorrow..."

"Tomorrow I'll be home alone while Andy goes to school and my mom goes to work. Actually, my dad has to decide what he's doing..."

I looked at my hands as Marko placed a warm mug of hot chocolate in front of me.

"What's the deal with your father?" He asked, leaning over the counter towards me.

I shrugged.

"For as long as I can remember he's always been working. Always been traveling. I remember, after one of his trips, he'd have a gift to give me from all the different countries he visited. He thought that, since I couldn't travel, he'd bring other countries to me. And now..."

"It's all falling apart." He whispered.

I rested my face on my hand and pulled the mug of hot chocolate in front of me with the other.

"He got her pregnant. My mom is making him decide by tomorrow." I whispered.

I could feel tears well in my eyes. I quickly shook them off and sat up.

"Enough about me. What about you? Where's your family?" I asked.

He took a deep breath.

"Well since you asked...I'm a foster kid. Well, was. When I turned 18 I was kicked out so now I live in an apartment of my own but uh...yeah. My foster mom was wicked cool; I was the oldest there. I visit there all the time to see my younger siblings too."

I stared at Marko, surprised to see a softer, more serious side of him.

"What about your real parents?"

"My um...mother was a drug addict and my father was...abusive." He whispered.

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

"Oh. I'm sorry for asking, I shouldn't have; it's none of my business." I blurted.

He smiled and shook his head, leaning over the counter.

"No, it's all right. It feels good to finally let all of this out to someone." He said.

I nodded slowly, realizing for the first time just how close our faces were. I swallowed.

"How do you know Charlie?" I whispered.

"When I turned 14 I got a job here, but before that I used to come in here and buy sweets from him. I used to be his favorite customer until someone else took that position." He said, referring to me.

I smirked and he rolled his eyes.

"So..."

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I blurted.

I don't know why but I was curious. He shrugged at my question.

"Don't have any idea. I'm not really good at anything except coffee beans and machines."

We both laughed at that.

"What about you?" He asked.

I frowned.

"Well...nothing."

His brows furrowed and my frown deepened.

"I've never dreamed of being a firefighter or any of those silly things because of...my condition."

He looked at me pointedly and my brows furrowed.

"What?"

"You cannot tell me you've never dreamed of being anything before." He said, matter-of-factly.