With Jasmin A. Miller

Hi, Jasmin, thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

I'm thrilled to be here. Thanks for inviting me. :)

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

I'm a big sucker for romance and Happily Ever Afters, so you always get that from me. Most of my stories are new adult and adult romances, but I've written a few young adult stories too.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focused?

I honestly just keep writing, even if it's just a few words. It keeps my mind in the zone I suppose, and thinking about what I want to write before I sit down for it usually helps too. The feeling of finishing a story is always a fantastic motivator too as is the excitement of beginning the next story. ;)

What top tips would you advise for getting a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

I'm personally not a big planner, but I usually do know my key scenes and the end before I start writing a new story. Sometimes I outline a few chapters when things slow down and that always helps me get excited and to move forward again. And reading always plays a huge role too in sparking a new idea.

Overall it really depends on what kind of writer you are. Some thrive on planning, researching, and outlining while others just jump right into it. Both approaches or a mix of them are great. I think everyone just needs to try and see what works to get them started and then to keep them motivated too. :)

How much do you edit on the fly? Or do you prefer to edit after you've finished the initial draft?

I never actually finish a draft before posting it to Wattpad (even though that would be the best and least stressful way to do it), so I edit as I go. I'm not doing a heavy edit though, mostly just a read-through to catch typos and the odd sentence here and there.

Personally, what kind of novella -- be it any style, theme, or genre -- would you like to see emerge from the Open Novella Contest?

I enjoy reading lots of different genres as long as there's some romance. I just need to swoon I guess. ;)

Lastly, because we're always curious... What was your ever first experience with the power of the written language?

Good question. I remember reading a lot of adventure books when I was younger before I stopped reading as a teenager (regretfully). Thankfully, I got back into reading later on again though.

It's been great hearing from you, Jasmin, and thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge in storytelling.

Thank you so much for having me, I really appreciate it. <3

Best wishes for your future endeavours from Coffee Community.

Our goal is to bring you many more exclusive interviews with people who aren't just Wattpad Stars or Staff, but also some pretty awesome authors.
In that quest, next we will be talking to Shimaira, so stick around for more fun.