With Layla

☕☕☕

Our poet of the month is Layla, who is also known as laylagriffin_ on Wattpad.

☕☕☕

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and learn a little about what motivates you to write about the art of poetry.

First of all, let me start the interview by saying thank you for reaching out to me. It was a very pleasant surprise. I'm Layla, also known as Layla Griffin here on Wattpad.

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as a poet/poetess on Wattpad! For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe yourself and your poetry?

My journey as a poetess here on Wattpad started in December 2020. I had just started University, when one of the classes we had to do was Creative Writing. My professor at the time suggested that I be brave and finally start to publish my poems somewhere online and being already part of Wattpad long before that I thought the platform would be the best place to reach out to fellow writers and readers who could relate to the poems I was writing. And thankfully my collections started to be well received.

I don't think there is a proper way to describe my poetry as I have written all sorts of themes, tried all sorts of styles, but I can proudly say that there is a bit of everything for those who love poetry.

What are your unique quirks when you write?

Does always writing past 12AM count? Hm, my biggest quirk while writing is overusing certain poetic-sounding words and literary devices. I just love personification and repetitions, especially when it comes to writing poems about nature.

What structural or stylistic techniques do you prefer to use in your poems?

Now, this is a tough question. I love experimenting with my writing. Most of my poems are rhymes with 3-4 stanzas. But I have written haiku, narrative poetry, surrealic poems, acrostics and such as well. So you can find all sorts of structures depending on which collection you read.

What inspires your poetry?

I find inspiration everywhere. Sometimes it's from daily life, relationships with others, sometimes it's nature: the sky, the moon, flowers. Basically in every poem I pour a bit of my mind, heart and soul hoping that others will relate and find something to appreciate in them.

What messages can be often found in your poems?

I have written tons of poems and each has its own message. Some are much darker than others, others are much lighter in nature. But in every collection you can find the message of self-love, acceptance, overcoming fear and personal issues.

Do you think the Internet and social media contribute to the well-being of poetry nowadays?

Honestly, I think poetry as a genre is rather underappreciated. There are plenty who write but not many opportunities to reach a bigger audience.

Do you have any favorite poetry collections on and off Wattpad?

Yes, I have both on and off Wattpad. On Wattpad I love the poetry of enniemoe and WinterlyHeights. Off Wattpad I'm a huge fan of Charles Bukowski.

What is the art of poetry in your opinion?

The art of poetry, in my opinion, is being able to pour your thoughts and soul into words to tell a story within a few lines.

Lastly, do you drink coffee? If yes, what is your favorite coffee beverage?

I'm not a huge fan of coffee but I'd say Mocha. I'm a huge fan of anything sweet.

Thank you so much Layla for joining us for this interview and good luck with the rest of your poetry journey! 

Thank you so much Layla for joining us for this interview and good luck with the rest of your poetry journey! ☕