With Cammie

☕☕☕

Our new author of the month is Cammie, who is also known as cammie_grace on Wattpad.

☕☕☕

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to get involved with CoffeeCommunity. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe yourself and your fiction?

I first joined Wattpad in 2018 as an avid reader fascinated by the concept behind the app, which allowed aspiring writers to share their stories with the world. I uploaded my first work the same year, as writing has always been my passion. I'm a sucker for a good love story, so romance is my go-to genre when writing.

When did you start writing and what does writing mean to you?

I feel as though I started writing from the moment I first learned to spell! As a child, I would fill notebooks with storylines I created in my head (which left me with very sore hands, I must add). To me, writing is a creative outlet and brief escape from reality. From the instant I learned to read, I don't think I went anywhere without a book. Realizing I could take words and create an entire world, just as the authors I loved so much did, was a life changing moment for me.

Out of all the stories that you've written so far, which one is your favourite and why?

Definitely my work titled 'Hidden Within'. The storyline is one I hold close to my heart and is very personal to me. As a female with a same-sex partner who loves to write romance, I wanted to reflect that part of myself into a story. Growing up, I did not see very many books including queer relationships. I wanted to create the teen-fiction love story I wish I could have read and identified with in my early years.

What is your writing process like? Are you more of a plotter or a pantser?

I would say a mix of both, though definitely more of a pantser. When an idea hits, the storyline plays through my mind like a movie. I have a bit of direction as to where I want the story to go, though I don't meticulously plot. I love those moments where my fingers seem to take control of the keyboard and I'm suddenly writing out an entire scene that had previously never crossed my mind.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focused?

The story itself! Once I sit down to write, it's like time no longer exists and I get lost inside the world I'm creating. I feel strong connections to my characters, which definitely helps to keep things moving. I also truly enjoy the process of writing, so passion maintains my energy and focus. Oh, and tons of coffee.

What top tips would you advise for getting a story, a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

One tip I love that helps me overcome writer's block and ultimately gives me the inspiration to start off a work is absolutely no revising while writing! Get everything out onto the page, then go back and edit later. This allows creativity to take control and moves the writing process along without over-thinking. My motivation to stick with a story comes from the first idea that struck which led to the creation of the novel in the first place. Usually, this idea will end up being the climax or turning point of the storyline, and I can't rest until I get that scene written out. From there, the ending falls into place almost naturally.

Lastly, what was your first ever experience with the power of the written language?

I sort of always knew I wanted to be an author when I grew up, though I recall being in middle school when this dream became solidified into my mind. My class had to read Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, and I just absolutely fell in love. I wanted to create books just as entertaining and fun to share with others. However, I had been writing long before then. I believe the power of literature put me under a spell after the first book I ever read, and has stuck with me ever since!

Thank you once again for this lovely coffee chat! We're glad that we had the chance to get to know you more and wish you all the best for your writing journey.