With Eva

Virulent by evacharya

Hello, Eva! Thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community.

So, to begin with, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe yourself and your fiction?

I'm a Nepali-Australian author of contemporary romance who loves dabbling in sci-fi and fantasy as well. I'd say my style is light with a distinct narrative voice. 

When did you start writing and what does writing mean to you?

I started writing in my teens but only discovered Wattpad in my thirties. Writing isn't just a hobby for me, it's something I'm trying to build as a career. 

How has your writing journey been so far? What are your goals as a writer?

So far, my journey has had hurdles as any writers out there, but perhaps it's been harder in some aspects too. English isn't my native tongue so I've not only struggled to learn the ins and outs of narrative writing, but I've also battled long and hard with imposter syndrome. The battle still wages on, unfortunately, despite the success I've had on Wattpad. My ultimate goal is to get represented and pursue traditional publishing, which I'm working towards. 

Now, let's talk about this year's ONC. Why did you participate in the Open Novella Contest?

It's just something my Wattpad friend and I do every year. I've participated since 2020, so it was a bit of a tradition if you will. 

Which prompt(s) did you choose this year?

I chose the prompt about the coin flip to make a decision and blended it with another about the contract you make with the devil sort of. Sorry, I forgot what number prompts they were on the list. 

Besides the prompt(s), what else inspired you to write your ONC winning story?

I have a background in medical microbiology and immunology and I've always been interested in the what if of pathogens as a bio weapon. It all stemmed from one professor telling us a hypothetical scenario in which he posed a question: what if influenza ever met Ebola at a bar and had a kid? I've had this story brewing in the back of my head for a while and finally found a moment to try it out. 

Tell us about your writing process during the ONC. What did you enjoy the most? Did you encounter any struggles writing your story?

I enjoyed writing limited third person POV after writing a couple of Omni narratives. The thing I struggled the most with was staying with word limit and finishing it before deadline. I was traveling across Japan towards the end and writing the last few chapters on bullet trains!

What advice would you give writers joining the ONC next year?

Have fun! Don't forget to have fun. Yes, it's a contest, but most of all, it's an opportunity for you to try something new and challenge yourself. That's how I see the ONC, and every year I challenge myself to try a new genre or POV.

Give us your ONC winning speech!

Oh boy, I sick at speeches! Anyway, here goes.I'd like to thank the 2023 ONC for the wonderful prompts they gathered this year, some on which definitely got me excited, and as a result, I have a story I'm proud of, and am even considering turning it into a full length novel when the time allows. To ONC judges as well, thank you for loving VIRULENT and for giving it a place among the winners. I'm incredibility chuffed to say the least.

Thank you once again for this interview! We're glad that we had the chance to get to know you more and wish you all the best for your writing journey.

 ☕