With Steph

We want to introduce you to a new interview series that will be conducted on the CoffeeCommunity profile from now on, which is the 'Author of the Month' series. Every month we'll feature a new author of various genres and writing backgrounds to get know more about them, their writing journey and their works.

☕☕☕

Our author of the month is Steph, who is also known as smidorii on Wattpad.

☕☕☕

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to get involved with CoffeeCommunity. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe yourself and your fiction?

I'm a twenty-something from Hawaii and spend most of my time listening to music, rewatching Lord of the Rings for the hundredth time, or reorganizing the Pinterest boards for my too-many wips!

I tend to write stories that are character-driven with a lot of focus on self worth/identity, interpersonal relationships, and the many different ways we express our love for the people in our lives. Most of my side characters are just as interesting, if not more, than my main characters, because who are we without the influence of the people around us? The idea of "home" and what it means to us is also a recurring theme in a lot of my stories. And, most importantly, as someone of Pacific Islander & Asian heritage, most of my stories feature characters who share this identity.

When did you start writing and what does writing mean to you?

The first time I ever started writing was when I was about fourteen with two of my best friends at the time. I've been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember, but I had my head in a book for most of high school, and being able to explore my own ideas was (and still is) one of the greatest experiences. Not only is writing a great creative outlet, it allows me to explore a lot of my own personal feelings about the world and myself. In regards to writing on Wattpad, it's been a great platform to connect with so many people I would have never met otherwise, and I've been able to build a strong and uplifting community of individuals who all support each other.

Out of all the stories that you've written so far, which one is your favourite and why?

'Waves of Us' will forever and always be my biggest pride and joy. It's a very personal story to me for many reasons, most of which that it's inspired by real life and people I've had the honor of growing up with.

As someone who is Native Hawaiian and living in Hawaii, I haven't felt seen for most of my life in media or other forms of entertainment. Even as a writer, I felt like I had to conform to certain standards. One weekend, I decided that needed to change. I wanted to write a story that not only reflected the diverse group of people in my life, but to also showcase the beauty and struggles of this incredibly special place I call home. To give myself the kind of representation I wish I saw more of growing up. Because being able to see ourselves in the stories we consume is so much more important than I think a lot of people realize. The fact that people have been able to connect with this story, as well as show an appreciation and understanding for an often overlooked community, has been so special, and I'm proud to be able to give some representation to my people.

It's also the first story of mine featured by Wattpad, both during the Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage month campaign and as an Editor's Pick, so that's a wonderful milestone that I'm quite proud of!

What is your writing process like? Are you more of a plotter or a pantser?

This depends on the story itself. Since most of my stories are character-driven, I find it easy to have a general idea for all of the major points of my story and go with the flow in connecting the pieces as I write. However, some ideas are more involved and require research, so I've been plotting for quite a few of my newer ideas. At the end of the day, whether I have an outline or not, I never want to feel stuck in a box, so I allow myself whatever freedoms I think I need to get to where I want.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focused?

I've definitely struggled with this a lot. Short-term wise, I never work without music and a comfortable space. It helps keep me in whatever mood I need to be, and ensures that I have the appropriate environment to let my creativity run free.

In terms of writing day-to-day, I find it's all about balance. If I slip up and get too relaxed, I find myself taking too many days off and it's harder to jump back into things. If I work too much, I get burnt out and end up in that same space. Giving myself breaks is necessary, but also finding the time to commit to working on my craft—both equally important. I also have the most amazing group of friends/fellow writers who motivate me, which helps since writing can often feel quite lonely.

What top tips would you advise for getting a story, a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

Coming up with a new idea is easy. Too easy, if you ask me. Staying committed to reaching the finish line will always be the hardest part. I think having a clear vision of what you're trying to achieve is the most important. It's hard to know how to get somewhere if you don't even know where you're going. So, while indulging in each and every idea is tempting—trust me, I know—be brutal with yourself on which ideas you're genuinely interested in. When you're writing something that truly resonates with you, it helps keep the momentum going, and reaching those milestones in your story will be rewarding.

I also think it's important to remember that creativity can be a fickle thing. And, while we ultimately want to see our goals through to the end, there is no set timeframe on when that needs to happen. Allow yourself the time you need to finish something you can be satisfied with. If that means putting it aside because of a mental block or something outside of your writing, don't beat yourself up for it. There will always be time to come back to it when you're ready.

Lastly, what was your first ever experience with the power of the written language?

There isn't a specific moment where it all clicked for me, but I remember having this teacher for fourth and fifth grade that always encouraged us to read. We'd sit for an hour every day and read while he played classical music on his record player. I accredit this teacher with introducing me to my love of reading and music.

It was the ultimate escape. I got to hide away from reality for that hour and explore new places, meet the most incredible people, and discover new things about myself and the world. Being able to continue this journey of exploration and wonder into adulthood keeps me grounded, and allows me to experience lives beyond my own. 

Thank you once again for this coffee chat, Steph! All the best for your future writing endeavors.