Chapter 13- Trust.

Elizabeth

Maths came and went. I was bursting to tell Verona about my feelings for Rafe because I needed her help and advice. I wasn't really a girl that had much experience with boys. I didn't date. Much.

Was telling Verona the right thing to do? I've only known her for a month or so. How long does it take to rightfully trust? Sure, she told me her problems but that was because I offered to listen. But for a girl like me, abandoned, abused and neglected, I wasn't so sure what trust felt like anymore.

"Liz! Wait up!" Verona called, "We have next period together, silly, let's walk together ." she laughed, jogging up to me, blonde hair bobbing.

"Erm right sorry. I didn't even notice I was walking away." I fiddled with my blazer sleeve as a nervous uncertain laugh came out.

"Liz? What's up? Something's wrong, what is it?" worry filled her eyes.

"Yes, right, there's something I've been meaning to tell you and I kind of need your help." I smiled sweetly, trying to remove the tension between us.

She can feel it too, right? It isn't only me? "Well erm.. how can I say it.." I paused for a long moment before Verona's wide eyes filled with excitement.

"Oh my gosh. It's a boy! It's a boy, isn't it? Well how can I be so stupid. Of course it is!" she grabbed my hands and whispered, "So who is it?"

"Well, funny thing is-" I started.

"That reminds me. You remember Rafael?" She interrupted. "Right that bunch of hot stuff is my" at this point I knew what was about to come out of her mouth, "new potential boyfriend." she winked. "Highlight the word 'potential'" she laughed. Ah fuck. "But anyway, who has caught your lucky little eye?"

"Erm no one it doesn't matter." I started to walk to next lesson hoping she'd follow.

"Hey no! That's not fair. You've started and now I'm curious. Spill the beans" she jogged, hoping to catch up.

"Sorry the beans have boiled." I laughed it off.

"Elizabeth Towers. You will tell me right now." The stern look on her face scared me a bit so I blurted the first name that came to my head.

"Nick" And I immediately regretted it.

"Nicolas Pepper? Maths dude? Weirdo in the back?" She raised her voice in surprise.

"Verona will you shut up." I looked around to see if anybody heard, but luckily no one did so I continued to hurry to next lesson.

"No, no, no, no, no, no. Liz! What the heck! Why him? Trust me you don't want to like him." She said catching up.

"And why's that. I mean he seems nice and, lets face it, he is hot." I lowered my voice, hoping no passing person heard.

"Just trust me on this. You really don't want to like him. She shivered, "Its just us girls hear things."

"Yeah, well, that's what ears are for." I unzipped my bag, distracting myself from this horribly lead conversation.

"We hear bad things. And trust me, most of them are true." She quietly but surely spoke, ensuring no one could hear us but making sure I got the point.

"how would you know that?" I diverted my eye contact

"Call it woman's intuition." She cupped my face so her cold gaze stared straight at me. "I mean it, Liz. You can't like him."

"But-"

"No buts." wow that sounds like deja vu. "I mean it. Drop this one okay. End of." She dropped my face and seemed rather serious and kind of pissed at me. "We're going to be late. Hurry up." she turned away from me and walked away ever so firmly.