Chapter 18- Red, Red Everywhere

This chapter is dedicated to @MadMikeMarsbergen (awesome name) for adding not one but THREE of my novels to his RL. And not just any, but the book list he recommends YOU read. http://www.wattpad.com/list/22279066-what-phonerion-ballznevsky-thinks-you-should-read Check out the list. And thanks MadMike. I really hope this will encourage you to start reading this. 

Chapter 18 – Red, Red Everywhere

The next day I was helping Aminah in the kitchen, preparing some of the food for the wedding tomorrow when there was a knock at the door. I stopped mixing the salad and looked up at Aminah.

“I'll get it,” she said. She walked past to observe my salad making and muttered, “Lovely. Just a bit more olive oil and it's done.”

I bobbed my head and she stepped out the kitchen. I drizzled olive oil over the salad, turning the cous cous a darker yellow, when I heard Aminah call me. As I turned I saw Mom go by the kitchen entryway with a wide grin on her face. She didn't look my way as she passed. I frowned and headed to the archway, peering around the left corner to see who the guest was. I saw a familiar short, curvy figure with long, black hair wrapping her arms around my sister. Next to her, I spotted the top of dark-brown hair and the glint of smiley eyes as they focused on me. Sami and Zak.

I jumped out of the archway and hustled to the two of them. Sami saw me, squealed and wrapped her arms around me.

“I can't believe you're here,” I said into her shoulder, which muffled my voice.

“I can't believe it either,” she said in an excited voice. She pulled back and studied me. “You've got a tan. Looking good, hon.”

I blushed, my eyes flicked up to Zak's face. “Hi,” I said.

He smiled widely, his dimples deepening. His bright eyes crinkled as they looked at me. “Hi, back.”

My mom jumped in and acted the perfect hostess alongside Aminah who welcomed them into the house.

I learned a few minutes later that mom had invited them, supposedly to cheer me up more than anything else. It certainly worked. I gave her a big hug in thanks and she didn't stop smiling after that.

Aminah had already set up a guest bedroom for Zak opposite our room. Next door to him was supposed to be Sami's room but she declined, saying she'd happily sleep in our room. Sadie was so thrilled her feet were practically hovering above the ground. I, however, was anxious about my tendency to cry out in my sleep.

Sadie was a deep sleeper. A hurricane could rip its way through the house, swallowing the roof and leaving her exposed to the elements and she'd still be snoring like a pig with a sinus problem.

I doubted Sami was as good a sleeper as my sister if I suddenly burst out screaming. Fortunately, I hadn't done it during our time in the cabin.

Anxieties aside, I was so relieved she was here. And Zak too. As long as things stayed simple and he didn't give me any 'signals', I'd be fine.

That evening, I was waiting to use the bathroom in our room. Sadie was in there and taking her damn time. I pounded on the door. “Sade, I need to use the bathroom. Hurry up.”

“I got here first.”

“I really need to go.”

“Use the other ones,” she called. “There's plenty to choose from.” I heard her snicker.

I pressed my forehead against the door, huffing. “I need to get something in there.”

“What?”