Chapter 16- Ahlan

Hi all! Ahlaaaaaaaaaan, salam etc. Here's the next chapter of J&C. And Cora is across the pond. Now bear in mind that this was first written when I was 18 (so six years ago) and the war and all that hadn't happened, so this novel is set in that sort of time. I'm dedicating this chapter to @RavynD because I saw he'd added it to his RL a while ago in his 'Read later' pile. Here's me trying to convince him to read it NOW. :D Enjoy! 

Chapter 16 – Ahlan

I gazed solemnly out the window of our cab as we cruised up the narrow mountain slopes of Damascus. The blinding sun scorched my sensitive skin through the glass. I wound down the window, basking in its warmth.

I'd missed the heat. The summers in South Carolina were something I used to look forward to; I'd been in Manitoba long enough to forget what it felt like to feel your skin tingle and sweat from heat.

With my dark shades shielding my eyes, I tipped my head out of the window and breathed in the dusty fragrance of earth and the sweet perfume of wildflowers. I glanced down the steep drop inches from the wheels of the car. I wasn't afraid of heights, but it still made me look at the edge of the cliff with unease. The cab driver zoomed along as if he'd driven this route many times before.

I looked out and down at the city below me. I could hear the call to prayers on the horizon, the beeping of car horns, the bustle and vibrancy of life. The glimmer of the Barada River was just visible as it weaved its way through the city. Seeing it ignited my desire to jump into it and cool off.

We arrived at Abdul's brother's house around forty-five minutes after leaving the airport. The driveway was long and shaded by enormous cedars. We approached double cast-iron gates, that opened upon our arrival. I felt like royalty as we drove through them and into the enormous walled front driveway. It was a paved garden, with a beautiful circular pool in the middle. I could see a young girl washing fruit in it and dropping them into a plastic basket balanced on her hip. It was like I'd leaped back in time.

She glanced up at our approach and as we exited the car she bowed and turned, running up to the front double-doors of the enormous villa and disappearing inside.

The exterior of the villa was painted an off-white and complimented by the dark brown balconies and terracotta roof tiles. The garden was furnished with several benches placed in front of each wall surrounding the garden; seats circling a table stood underneath a parasol near the front of the house. Just behind it was a long window of black-tinted glass that concealed what room lay beyond. The rest of the windows visible from the front kept in character with the traditional feel of the building.

I turned around, scanning the cream walls of the garden; the front gates were closed, locking out the cedar trees and the outside world. Lemon trees bordered the garden, leaning close to the property walls; their fragrance sweet and citrusy.

It was a peaceful place; until the entire Isa family piled out into the garden, welcoming us in loud voices.

I stood by my mom for as long as I could before she was clawed into a bear hug by Abdul's sister in law, Aminah; a curvacious woman with bouncy highlighted hair and plump lips. They stretched into a smile as she laid eyes on me and Sadie. My sister greeted her politely, as did I, but neither of us could escape kisses on our cheeks. I rubbed the gloss from mine and eyed my sister who was doing the same. We smirked as the Isa crowd continued to talk over each other.

Abdul had three nephews and a niece from Aminah and his brother, Abbas's side. On top of that, he had three other brothers with very big families. Just thinking about meeting them -being held hostage by them- filled me with dread. The wedding was in four days. Thinking about the changes it would make on our family made me drift off somewhere else while Aminah introduced us to everyone.

Sadie nudged me halfway through and whispered, “He's cute.”

I looked up and saw she was eying the middle brother, Hassan. He was Sadie's type: slim, stylish, cocky. He had a golden skin tone and come-to-bed chocolate eyes, which were doing a lot of talking as they landed on Sadie. I gritted my teeth and when his gaze fell on my warning eyes, he swiftly looked on the ground. Damn straight, I thought.

The eldest brother, Ali, was skinnier and taller. I could tell he was an introvert like me but he was polite enough and bowed low to all of us in welcome; his short, spiky hair pointed in my direction as he lowered his head. He stood up tall and smiled at me, so I returned it.

The youngest brother, Dawud, was the handsomest in my opinion. Unlike his brothers who had dark -almost black eyes- he was blessed with the most beautiful moss-green irises, made even more striking by the darkness of his skin. He was darker than his father, Abbas, and his mother put together. He also had a cheeky grin and eyes that twinkled. He bowed at us when Aminah introduced him and I couldn't help smiling with him when he looked up. He winked at me out of line of sight of his parents and I raised a brow. When he grinned in response, so did I. His smile was infectious. He was a little younger than me, by about two years. Hassan was a year older than him and Ali three years older.

Fatima, the only daughter, shook our hand and welcomed us in such flawless English, me and Sadie stood gaping at her for a long moment before she broke the awkwardness with a giggly laugh.

“Sorry,” I said, clearing my throat. “Your English is really good. You sound like you were born in Florida.”

“I study there. I have a year left.”

The others were talking to my mom and Abdul. Hassan and Ali were muttering amongst themselves. Dawud was stood next to Fatima, listening to our conversation. I glanced at Sadie who was clearly impressed by Fatima.

“What do you study?” I asked.

“Medicine. I hope to be a doctor.” I liked her already.

We were all invited into the house and the young girl I saw washing the fruit, came and took mine and Sadie's bags, whilst a man about my age carried Abdul's and my mom's luggage.

The hallway was enormous, adorned with marble pillars and floors, extravagant handmade Persian rugs, solid wood furniture and gold painted curved chairs with cream upholstery. I couldn't imagine children ever played in here.

The kitchen was to our right. I could see it was immaculate, clean and large. To the back of the house was an even larger living room decorated in blues, creams and browns.

We were led to the guestrooms on the ground floor. Sadie and I shared a room neighboring mom and Abdul's. I hope the walls are thick, I thought and then cringed at the unpleasant images that mauled my mind.

I gazed around our lilac and chocolate colored room. The twin beds looked very inviting and I sprawled onto the nearest one. After a long flight, three crappy nights of sleep since Diyari's appearance and the constant fear that demons were everywhere, I was beat. I fell asleep almost instantly.