Eigteen

Steve's POV

"Earth to America,come in America!! There is no time to zone out we're kinda in the middle of a battle!"

I snap out of my trance immediately as I realize that I'm surrounded by around fifteen men. I easily take them all down with the throw of my shield. Sadly,that impressive feat didn't end the fighting as even more of the enemy poured out of the base.

"I feel like they're multiplying!" Stark yells at me while taking out a group with a blast of energy from his suit.

I can't help but to search for her...I know it's wrong,but I wonder if she's been taken down...I feel sick as the thought of her dying in this battle crosses my mind.
I shouldn't feel anything,she is a traitor after all!!!

"Wait,look at the puny cowards attempting to escape their fate!" Thor yells,pointing at two hydra agents running hand-in-hand towards the forest surrounding the base.

I debate on whether or not to stop the duo,since they seem to be smaller than average or maybe it's just because they are pretty far away. I decided to just leave them be,it makes my job easier and they would most likely wouldn't be able to give up much of a fight.

"Hey wait,what if they have valuable information!!" Stark yells as I turn my back towards the cowardly agents.

"I didn't think about that...can you handle this while I go check it out?" I ask,slightly embarrassed that I didn't think about that option.

"Yeah,go get those wimps!"

I roll my eyes as I run toward the direction of the fleeing agents...I wonder if Mariketa is safe,actually no,I could care less.
As I get close to the enemy I start to realize that the pair are female and that the short brunette is getting dragged by the slightly taller red-head.
My stomach drops as the redhead turns around...those cold grey eyes look at me with fear and bewilderment.
Mariketa shoves the brunette behind her in a protective manner and yells at her to run then takes up a defensive pose.

"Look Amerika, I don't care what you do to me, just don't hurt her!" She says as she motions to the girl who briefly looks at me with fear and then finds the courage to run.

I stay silent,unable to comprehend what is happening.

"I'm not going to fight you,unless you try to harm her. Do what you want with me." She lowers her ice-covered hands and then lowers her head.

I stand there in silence,unable to decide what to do with the two enemies.
I sigh and lower my shield,my hate for her is like a untamed fire,yet I grow cold when she looks up at me with eyes that reflect a mix of emotions even I can't begin to describe.

As I continue to search for the answer to the question of what to do with this traitor whom I can't seem to hate enough, I do not notice the yelling that is coming from behind me. Mariketa notices and the look of utter defeat shifts into something of pure horror.

"STEVE,WATCH OUT!!" She screams,but I know that it's too late...

I shield myself the best that I can as an explosion goes off. As I brace myself for the impact; I'm surprised that I don't actually feel any force from the explosion. I look over my shield,confused, only to see a barrier of ice in front of me.
I don't understand how ice could withstand the impact of the blow,but it did...she saved me...

...But why?