My heart flutters as my phone vibrates in the pocket of my jeans. Elliot looks back at the TV, and I take out my shitty pay-as-you-go touch phone. I was able to add more minutes to it, but not many. Brett texted me.

Hey, where you at?

Some rich guy's house in the east end

Wtf? You need a ride? We need to talk. And I can drop off your stuff

Yeah. 60 Ambleside

Be there in 30

I look at Elliot's face. The glow of the candle flickers hues of orange and red on his pale skin. I text Brett again.

Make it an hour.

* * *

"Lucy, did you want some cake to go?" Elizabeth offers, and I peek up from my plate as I scrape chocolate icing off it with my fork. Embarrassment touches my cheeks, because I just shamelessly stuffed my face.

"Oh, sure, I'd love some," I mumble. "I mean, if you don't mind."

From across the table, Elliot grins. I glare at him as Elizabeth hands me a container filled with cake.

"Don't worry about the Tupperware." She waves her hand. "We have a million kicking around here."

"Thank you, Mrs. Wexler."

"You're welcome." She takes her spot at the end of the table. "It's nice to have someone around who appreciates my food."

"I think we all appreciate the pizza and cake," Elliot says.

"Just not the salad," Ollie mutters.

Adam glares over his newspaper. "That's enough."

When Elliot begins helping Charlotte clean up the plates, I stand, too. "I better get going. My ride's almost here."

"Yeah," Elliot says, "just gimme a sec and I'll meet you at the front door, okay?"

"Sure."

He and Charlotte leave the room, and I face the parents. "Thank you again. It was really nice meeting you."

"Take care, kid," Adam says.

Elizabeth smiles. "It was lovely meeting you, Lucy."

Ollie says nothing, and I slip out of the room to the foyer. Elliot and Charlotte's voices resonate from the other room.

"Science partners, El? Really?"

"Yes, Charlotte. Science partners."

"Have you forgotten I go to Saint Jacob's or something? Lucy doesn't go there!"

"It's a big school."

"Not that big. I mean, I don't care, I'm just confused about why you're lying."

"Just shut up, Char. Seriously."

She scoffs. "You're such a doofus."

Uh-oh. It's not like a little suburban girl like Charlotte intimidates me, but I feel for Elliot. He walks into the room and threads a hand through his hair.

"So... you have a ride coming?" he asks.

I nod.

"That's good. Hey, so you don't want the coat, but what about a hoodie? Think you'll get hassled for that?"

"No, but it's okay. It isn't your job to clothe me, Elliot."

"Well, duh." He scratches the back of his head. "But like, do you want one? It's really cold out. I know you have that leather jacket, but it's pretty thin..."