Chapter 20 - This Way

Start from the beginning

"Watch out!" I yelled, and dash towards him.

He had nearly 5 seconds to get the heck out of there. Just when a car is about 1 meter from him in the air, he does a forward roll, followed up with a left barrel roll as well for the next 2 falling vehicles that lands. Loud crashes, windows shattering and metals being bent can be heard from the tumbling vehicles.

I was still sprinting to the boy in full speed, when suddenly an object catches onto my foot. It's some rear view mirror or something. But unfortunately, I failed to notice this on time, and lose balance completely landing into the pavement. It scrapes my knees and elbow.

I cringe and clenched my fists from the impact. My right leg was burning. I barely had any time to move quickly now.

"Look out!" I hear from ahead. But it was too late. I feel a large shadow hover over me, and shot my head up just in time to see a grey Toyota leaning over me. In a second, I feel a huge crash on my head, see the world spin into a blur. Everything around me goes from blur to black. Pain was the last thing I could feel. And it was back to the numbing ambiance of a comatose.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Something glows from the distance. A crackling noise is the first thing I hear.

As my eyes came to focus, I realized that the glow was from a small fire. Meters from where I was facing, was a warm fireplace, its smoke dancing into the dry air.

The sky was an evening dark blue, stars already twinkling above me.

I tensed, rubbing dry crisps from my eyes. How long had I been unconscious? More importantly, where am I, and what happened?

Turning to my left, I then spot someone sitting, no more than feet or so away from me. A boy wearing a terrain camouflage uniform along with a cap and dark sport shades, which hid his eyes. Wait a minute. Didn't I see him earlier before? During the accident when Remember--

I quickly sat up, looking around in worry. Where was he?

Soon, the boy catches my awakening, and gives a warm smile.

"Glad you're finally awake." He says, "I was sort of worried if you were extremely injured or not. Are you okay?"

I was hesitant, indecisive of whether I should answer or not. He could be another traitor after all, just like Mr. Hughes. However, he also might not be.

I began to open my mouth, but that's when I released some uncontrollable coughs. Unexpectedly, I find my throat extremely arid, and letting the night air in only makes it worse.

The soldier sees this, and promptly pulls out a canteen from his small haversack.

"Here," He offers, flipping the lid open. "Drink this."

Slowly, I take the bottle from him, my eyes moving from his presence one bit. I wanted to thank him, but my throat was too raspy to even verbally acknowledge him. I take a huge gulp of water, before returning it to him.

I wiped the bottom of my lips with my arm. "

Th