Chapter 11 - In the Eyes of Sadness

It was a small opening. Meters away from me, was 2 figures were set in the center of the fallow land; one figure is lying on the floor, while the other one is crouched beside it.

The body which was lying was no other then one of Professor Grant's men. However, the soldier wasn't moving. Squinting closer, that's when I see his neck, completely torn open, its flesh gushed out onto the bloody floors.

My eyes widen in realization, he wasn't alive. He was dead. Worst of all, was where his body is placed in--a puddle of blood.

The other figure however, didn't seem to notice, or even care. Instead, I see its ghostly pale skin reaching deep into the soldier's neck ripping out clumps of red-purple juicy meat. Just by hearing the sickening gushing sound made me want to puke. But what grossed me even more is when the stranger abruptly stuffs it into his/her mouth without a care.

And right then and there, I realize it wasn't human. Those pale arms, what it was doing. It was an infected feeding off the dead soldier, a zombie.

My legs froze right in place, eyes unable to tear off the disconcerting sight before me. Fortunately, the ghoul was too focused on devouring the cadaver to even notice me.

As I watch the zombie, I was able to examine more and more of its features; it was a boy, probably no more than a foot taller than me. He wore an oversized sleeveless coat, almost completely bleached with brown stains, red stains, along with small tears and tatters. A long red scarf is wrapped loosely around his neck, blending in with the blood stains that covered his clothes, and tousled white hair.

He continues digging his blood covered claws into the corpse's throat, pulling out its intestines. He then licks his bloodstained hands (or claws) elegantly, as if finishing one course of his meal. As he continue searching for more meat to eat, I stand there, completely frozen, with fear covering my entire expression.

I couldn't move. Or rather, wouldn't dare to. What was I suppose to do now? Running might attract him. On the other hand, standing here was just the same as a suicide. Plus, the smell was killing me.

The ghoul had already torn open the soldier's abdomen, and was now feasting on it. A whimper escapes from my lips, the moment he pulls out the large long intestines of the corpse.

Suddenly he stops what he's doing, and his eyes moved to me.

Upon discovering what I've done, I immediately cover mouth. Shit-

Like cupping half my face would help now. His dead black eyes pierced into mines, completely forgetting the body behind him. Slowly he rises, and takes a step forward.

This triggers the alarm. I was force to turn, and before you know it, I was running, for my life.

From this point on, everything beside me became a fuzzy blur. All I was focused now was the path ahead of me, which lead me to who-knows-where. I didn't know, and couldn't care less. As long as I wasn't going to crash into that monster-

However, a figure abruptly appears right before me, forcing me into a stop. Immediately I look up, anticipating it to be a person, someone--anyone who was willing to help me. But, it wasn't.

Instead was him.

His dark eyes where now narrowed, focused on the terrified little human prey, me.

Desperately looking around my surroundings, I then find another pathway and make a mad dash to my left. I continue to run once more, only to have been stopped short by another unexpecting shadow. It was the silhouette of him again. Crap!

Unease began to set in within me with every attempt I made to escape. I had a feeling he wasn't just any average zombie I'd faced before. Everywhere I turned, he would be there as if from thin air (or rather with great speed). Trapping me, like a cat ready to strike the mouse. Frustrated yet scared, I turned to where I ran from and dashed forward. This time, he doesn't appear!