Sirs and Madames

"Sir your horse cart waits."

Jonathan Exla fixed his bow and turned around to look at me. Such a magnificent creature and the elegance of the suit seemed to increase his charms.

"Do you think I'm ready?"

"Of course sir....As the heir of Exla you must be poise and composed at every waking second."

He heaved a deep sigh, a sign that the response put some pressure on him.

"Do not worry sir for God is rewarding. He made you naturally admirable." I added to ease his tension.

"Ow really? Say that to my father." He stepped forward and took his watch from my hand. I bowed to him. "Have a pleasant journey young master"

He didn't look back anymore before stepping out of the room.

"He's gone isn't he?" Jenny asked staring out of the window melancholy by her side.the horse cart set off to its destination but yet yearned to knowledge its whereabouts from me.

"Yes madam...Your brother is going to attend a meeting important for the Exla enterprise."

"I am aware...." She said in her small voice and skirted her way to the sofa, lying down on it like another day while stroking the cuission on her lap.

"Do you think he's worthy Trevor?"

I composed myself before answering. "Young Master Jonathan is every bit able to sustain to the needs of Exla Enterprise."

"Ugh!" She was disgusted by my answer and rolled her head backwards on the sofa. Then she looked at me, something unusually stern about the usual soft green eyes. "So you find him worthy?"

"With a household of this measure and the upbringing from richness and etiquette, the truth is anybody whose surname is Exla is more than worthy."

"Except for me...." her swooning voice looked dottingly at the cushion print. "I am an Exla too. Jenny Sussana Exla yet why does my father think I can't manage Exla properties?"

I waited for the heat of the question to diffuse off. The silence was more triggering to her. "Remember Trevor? When Count Wilbur once visited us....He said I was more decisive than John." She turned her head vigorously, awaiting my words.

"Yes. You were only ten and Young Master was..."

"Just twelve..." She took the words from me. "Yet he couldn't defeat me in Chess or in French...."

"You were gifted in learning...."

"No Trevor... I was meant to take over. But I am not. It annoys me. Can you trust him? Perhaps you can. Your only a butler."

"I have watched both of you grow from a child to the handsome young man and the lovely young woman you are today"

Her green gown was tumbling down from the sofa. She had deep brown hair the crown of which was decorated with a pearly tiara. She was sweet and lovely looking. But her atmosphere was in contrast to her looks. She was suffering from the conflict between her father and brother and the question of her own value in the family.

"But all that doesn't change that John will always sparkle in your eyes. You love him more don't you? Everyone does. It's natural for him you know. He has a heart warming smile I'll give you that but in my book, he fails in assessment."

"Would you like some tea madam?" I attempted to veer the conversation to something else.

"Let me tell you, today's meeting is going to be a failure."

"But we wouldn't wish that upon Exla Enterprise..." I tried to sound reasonable.

"No. And that's exactly why you should know why John is a misfit to run the company." She answered immediately.

Closet WorkOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara