Chapter 10: Courtesy Call

Start from the beginning

I hide behind one of the small storage sheds, quickly thinking up a plan of how to do this without drawing attention from any others who might be wandering about in the shadows. While Janine has locked up most of the storage facilities, a few of them-like this one, which contains gardening supplies-she leaves unlocked so she won't have to constantly keep locking it up and unlocking it for the children who help in the small farms and in the greenhouse after school.

I can use this to my advantage.

There's the soft sound of the dirt shifting under Seventeen's feet as she gets closer. I wait... and I wait... and I wait.

Until finally she walks by. Then I jump out and grab her.

She lets out a yelp in surprise and fear, but my hand covers over her mouth to muffle the noise. Even though my knife is in my free hand, I manage to open the door to the storage shed and shove her inside, closing the door behind me. I slam her up against the wall, holding the knife up against her throat and sending her a cold glare in the dimly lit shed.

"You scream, you die. Got it?"

She doesn't answer, but instead knees me in the stomach, knocking the air out of me. I should've seen it coming, but I don't chastise myself as I try to recover from the sudden blow. She tries to push me away, but as she does I kick my foot up and around to hit her left side. I stumble a bit, but regain my balance, and Summer, only slightly wounded from my kick, rushes to the door. I run over and grab her before she can reach her destination and slam her hard into the wall again.

She punches me, her fist slamming against my jaw in attempt to push me back again. She succeeds somewhat, but she doesn't push me far enough away. I give her the same treatment, only double the amount she gave me. Then I put the knife back up to her throat again.

"I don't want to hurt you," I growl, tasting the metallic taste of blood on my tongue.

Damn, the girl knows how to swing.

"Yeah, I'm sure," She spats, trying to wiggle free, but I press the knife harder against her neck, making the tiniest of cuts.

"I just want to ask some questions. Tell me what I want to know, and I'll let you live."

Summer scoffs. "And I thought you were different. You really are one of them. You just act like you're not."

"Drop the act. I know you're a member of the A.M.T.B., just like I was. I noticed when I saw that missing toe of yours." I hum. "And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that you actually never did tell much about your siblings. I mean, you said their names, but I've told people about my little sister too and they still have no idea who I really am. The only thing that didn't make sense was the accent, but I remember a few times you'd let it slip-when you'd mutter under your breath or something around those lines. You are an excellent faker.

"I'm a bit unsure as to how you got here. Abel would never buy someone, and your original mission couldn't have had anything to do with me since well, you were here before me. But I guess those stories can wait. What I want to talk about is your current mission." I narrow my eyes, and she stiffens. "How did they contact you to tell you to watch me, and how much do they know? Do they know I've told people things about them? What are your orders regarding me? How loyal are you to them?"

She blinks, her eyes shifting over my face as if to see if I'm making this up. "W-what?"

"Do not play games with me," I snap. "I don't want to hurt you, but don't think I won't slice your throat open. When did they contact you to tell you to keep an eye on me? How do they know I'm at Abel instead of Mullins?"