Don't Mess With Her

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me," I began, trying to get his attention. I'd had enough experience in this sort of situation, because I've always been the new girl. My family leads an 'adventurous life', as my mom puts it; but what she means is that we move every few years because none of us like staying in the same place. Well, I wouldn't mind staying long enough to make friends that I can actually keep for a while, but I get restless after a while. The longest we've ever lived in one place was 7 years and by that time we had outgrown it. It's been two or three years since then and my past three houses I'd only lived in for a year each. They told me this time would be different, 'they' being my parents, but I couldn't see anything changing.

There are pros though, one of them being that I knew how best to explain my situation, I know that teachers are going to ask to see my schedule and where I am from, and I know that they'll ask if I know anybody yet even though I just told them I'm not from anywhere nearby.

Then they'll put me in an assigned seat, probably on the other side of the room from where I really wanted to sit or who I kinda wanted to be friends with but I'll sit in it nonetheless and then I'll find out just how much work I had to catch up on to get a decent grade this semester.

He hummed in response without looking up from his computer screen and I just held out my schedule.

"I'm Y/N. I'm new." I said, and then he looked up.

"Oh, hi Y/N." He smiled, and held out his hand for me to shake, which I did, "I'm Coach Taylor, or just Taylor... or Coach." he said, and I nodded, deciding to call him 'sir' as I did every male teacher I had for the sake of ease. I never had to learn all of their names and I still got a response when I said it. Women were just 'Miss'.

"Hi." I smiled politely and he checked my schedule to make sure I was in the right place before handing it back to me. Then he quickly scanned the room and jotted something down on his computer whilst continuing to speak.

"Where are you coming from?"

See, told you so.

I answered him with a proud grin, feeling good about where I'm from, and he nodded.

"Do you know anyone here yet?"

I should make a checklist.

"No." I shook my head, looking around until my eyes fell on that girl. She sat in the back row, posture just as straight as before and she still watched me with that devilish smirk, though it was back to being miniscule now. I was surprised I could even notice it, to be frank. Yet, no matter how much I hoped I'd be placed next to her...

"I'll have you sit next to Jade." Coach Taylor said, pointing towards the other side of the room.

Bingo!

He then turned all of his attention onto the computer, and I made an odd face of confusion, turning around to look at that half of the room before seeing that there was actually only one seat available and it was next to a pretty-looking girl with light brown hair which almost blended into her tanned skin.

Still a little unsure, I made my way over there.

"Are you Jade?" I asked, resting my hand on the back of the chair beside her. She looked up and nodded with a smile.

It suddenly struck me how everyone smiles so much here despite the apparent lack of sunshine. I'd already been in the city for a couple of weeks, but due to complications with our newly-bought house I hadn't been able to enroll in school until now. Every day it had either been cloudy, rainy, or just cold and dull; weather usually associated with grumpy faces and rude remarks. Still, everyone smiled as though it were the sunniest day of all.

"Hi." She said once I sat down, putting my backpack underneath the table and pulling out an empty notebook and my pencil case as well as my water bottle. Once everything was situated on my desk I felt a little more relaxed. It had always had that kind of odd effect on me, getting things in their places made me feel more at home in the classroom... or something.

"Hey. I'm Y/N by the way." I said, introducing myself. I might as well try to make friends this time since my parents said we'd be staying for longer than two years like last time was. Seriously, I had barely settled in and found my place in the high school when they made us move away, and I had to start over. Now I was starting my Sophomore year halfway through the first semester when everyone already had friends and knew their way around and had found their place.

"Nice to meet you, " She said, offering her hand so I shook it, "You're new, aren't you?"

"Yeah."

"Thought so." she nodded, "I know basically everyone here. We're not that big of a school even though the building itself is kinda big. So, if you have any questions about things or... people," she added the last part in a hushed tone, but then giggled, "Just let me know."

I felt eyes on me when she said that, so I looked up to see that girl from before looking across at me.

"Actually... I do." I said, suddenly not able to tear my eyes from hers, "Who's she?"

Jade turned, only looking at the girl for a few seconds before looking back at me.

"Lauren Jauregui." she practically growled, "And the girls sitting by her are Ally, Normani, and Dinah Jane. You don't want to get involved with that."

"Why?" I questioned, only now noticing the other girls sat at Lauren's sides. They were talking amongst themselves quietly until the smallest girl in a black dress looked up at Lauren and then at me, and she seemed to have a similar hypnotising affect on me but it wasn't quite as strong as Lauren's.

"Just don't mess with her." Jade hissed, keeping her head down. The girl looked away and whispered something to Lauren, who then also looked away. I felt a peculiar feeling of emptiness for a moment but then it seemed to be filled with Jade speaking again, this time with the happier tone she wore before.

"So, do you have a boyfriend?"