That Girl

The phone rang a third time. Edison looked at the girl on his bed. "Give me some privacy, please."

"Sure thing," she snapped her fingers and vanished.  The strange, warm feeling seemed to hang in the air, along with a jasmine scent. Edison wasn't sure if she wasn't truly gone, but as long as he didn't have to look at her, he could talk to Nora. 

Edison clicked answer on his phone and sat down on his bed. "Hey, Nora, what's up? You never call this early. Did your dad -"

"I just had a nightmare I think."

"It's probably all those alien and horror movies you watch," Edison joked.

"It's not that." Nora shivered. "When I woke up, I thought I saw this girl standing at the edge of my bed and I couldn't move."

"Sleep paralysis," Edison said. 

Nora sighed. "Sorry to bug you so early."

"You never bug me. We can talk until it's time to get ready for school if you want."

"You're such a good guy, Edison. I appreciate you."

"It's no problem."

There was an awkward silence, then they both spoke at the same time.

"You go first," Edison said.

"I-I just wanted to say I'm sorry if I've seemed kind of weird lately. Maybe your house isn't truly haunted," Nora doubted herself.  

Edison felt something rip at his heart as he encouraged her to believe the lie. "Yeah, no worries. Listen, you've been under so much stress Nora. I'm always here for you. And..." Edison faltered.

Silence.

"Nora?" He heard a sniffle.

"Here."

"You're crying."

"How do you know?"

"I just do."

"This is our last year of high school. We can make it through this. Then I want to be with you."

"If it's meant to be it will."

"I'm not leaving your side."

As soon as Edison said that, he felt a searing pain along his arm. He muttered a swear word under his breath and rubbed at his skin.

"What's wrong?" Nora asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine."

"Edison, are you sure everything is okay with you? You've been so different lately. I don't know what it is...and that thing that attacked Carter and Alex - you never talk about it."

"Uh yeah...I know I need to talk to you about it. I just don't understand it all yet. You still trust me, right?"

"Yeah."

"Then please know I'll talk to you about it soon, I promise. Okay?"

"Alright. Hey, have you made new friends I don't know about?"

"No," he laughed. "No new friends." Edison felt his soul become a bit darker as the lie left his mouth. But it's not really a true lie.

**** UPDATES ON FRIDAYS ****

Hey guys, please keep hanging in there with me and I hope you like Edison and Nora. More to come soon! 

Please Comment, Vote, and let me know your thoughts.