A New Edison

The night was cold as Nora and Edison walked out of the movie theater. It was a Saturday night and mostly young people were out, as it was a date night. The small town only had one high school which was "Meadow Ridge," so all the kids recognized each other, more or less, and congregated at the one movie theater in town when a new film was released.

Edison and Nora sometimes hung out together on 'date night' but it was always casual, never romantic. However, tonight, Edison wore his best jeans and a nice shirt, while Nora wore her favorite black calf-high boots and a sweater dress. Her hair was pulled back with two sparkly barrettes.

When Edison had asked her to the movie, he hadn't made it sound like a date, but to him, it kind of was. He smiled to himself as he thought Nora just may feel the same way about him, but he couldn't bring it up tonight. It was too scary. He didn't want to lose her friendship over some romantic nonsense.

The warm feeling wrapped around him again and he tried to ignore it, silently telling it to give him some privacy. The warm feeling seemed to sigh and then receded.

"How about our usual ice cream stop before we head home?" Edison said as he opened the car door for her.

"Yeah! I need my hot fudge," Nora laughed.

MONDAY MORNING

Nora's cell phone vibrated. Half asleep, she groggily reached for her phone. She noticed it was a text from Edison. "Are you up yet?"

"I am now," Nora texted back and yawned.

"You didn't text your Monday morning joke, so I knew you'd overslept."

"Aren't you tired of the same goofy jokes every week?"

She was answered with a smiley emoji and a "Never."

A little later, Nora was sitting in the passenger seat of Edison's car like she always did, but something was so strange. She kept sneaking glances at him, thinking he wouldn't notice. He looked so stylish...he was put together. He seemed more focused and sure of himself.

Finally, he laughed. "Okay, what's the problem, is something stuck in my teeth?"

"No, but something has changed. Oh, you got contacts!"

"Right," he grinned.

"They look great, but I thought you could never find a pair that didn't irritate your eyes."

"Well, believe it or not, I found a brand I hadn't tried yet and so far, so good."

"Awesome."

"So, do I look totally hot now?" Edison asked as he pulled into the school parking lot and found an empty space.

Nora felt the heat in her cheeks. Why am I blushing, it's the same Edison I've known since we were kids. We've never been romantic so why are there butterflies in my stomach?

Edison was out of the car before she could speak and helped// her out.

"What's the occasion?" she asked him.

"I've just been thinking that I want to be more of a gentleman."

"That's really sweet."

"I'll walk you to your first class then see you in second period."

"Sounds good."

As Edison and Nora walked down the hallway, the other kids stared at them longer than they usually did. Edison and Nora almost looked like a cool, popular couple. Almost.

"Things feel different," Nora whispered as she glanced at the other kids.

"Remember when I said our lives would never be the same?"

"Yeah."

"It's happening already. We're changing."

Nora didn't know what to make of that statement. It sounded a little creepy. She'd ask him later when they had more privacy.

Carter noticed them first. "What the actual f -"

Anna shushed him and stared at Edison and Nora as they walked past. Alex was silent for a few moments which was a change.

"There's nothing to stare at," Carter told her.

"I'm not staring." She cocked her head to the side and looked at Carter. "We can date more seriously if you want, Carter." She wanted what Edison and Nora had. She wanted that vibe, that experience, that type of connection to another human being.

"What has brought about the sudden change of heart?"

"I like you and you like me. It's simple."

Alex gave a laugh. "You guys are so, so ridiculous."

"Shush, Carter," Anna demanded.

"I want to see what it's like to really have a bond with someone okay?"

Alex snickered as he glanced at Carter. "You'll be whipped in no time. Mark my words."

"That will never happen," Carter told him.

Carter held his hand out to Anna who took it in hers and the trio walked to class. As they sat down, Anna whispered to Carter, "Invite Edison to lunch with us today."

Carter sighed.

"Pretty please?"

"Fine."

They were a few minutes early for class, so Anna pulled out a strange-looking book from her backpack and flipped through the pages.

"Since when did you read outside of school?" 

''Since I've discovered my abilities."

**** UPDATES FRIDAYS ****

****Please Comment and Vote! I'm so grateful when you do. Thank you!****