Nora

Check out Bosy_elselhdar's books: "Daniel and Bella," "Mr. Wrong is Mr. Right," and "Casanova, Shoot my Heart."

~~~

It was a little after 8:00 pm, a few hours after the "fantastical" happenings at school when Nora called Edison.

"Hey, what's up?"

"I can't do this anymore..." the words were jumbled in a sob.

"Slow down, I can't understand you. Take a deep breath."

Nora took a deep breath and let it out in a huff.

"Talk to me." Edison's calm voice washed over her in a warm wave.

"They arrested dad, but only for a night unless mom presses charges. Mom had an ice pack on her face. Again. Did you hear me, Edison, I said, again."

"I'll be right there."

"No," she sighed. "I'll be fine. Besides, Aunt Lianne is here."

Nora studied the shiny blue polish on her fingernails and wondered how pathetic she sounded.

"I'll pick you up. Okay?"

"I guess so, but am I interrupting anything?" She sniffled. Yuck, I must sound gross, she thought, as she dabbed at her nose with a tissue.

"No, you goof. See you in five minutes."

"Thanks."

"What are friends for?"

Click.

Nora glanced at herself in the full-length mirror next to her dresser. She smoothed her red, long-sleeved t-shirt and dabbed some cover-up on her face. Then she slung her cross-body purse around her waist, grabbed her jacket, and went downstairs.

Her aunt was in the kitchen making coffee.

"Hi, sweetie," her aunt said.

"Hi. I'm hanging out with a friend for a while."

"Which friend?"

"Edison," Nora answered as she put on her jacket.

"Alright," Aunt Lianne said, relaxing a bit. She trusted and liked Edison. "Don't come home too late, though."

"I won't."

She came around from behind the counter and hugged Nora. Nora let her but felt awkward even though she liked her aunt. Lianne let her go.

"I'm so sorry for what my brother has done," she said.

Nora glanced away from her aunt's sad face.

"I know."

"I'm always here for you if you ever need to talk. You know that right?"

"Yes, and thanks. It means a lot."

A few moments later, Nora stepped outside into the cool night air. She pulled on her jacket and glanced around the quiet street. When she spotted Edison's Nissan, she started walking toward it.

"Sorry for the hassle," she mumbled as she got into the passenger seat.

"It's never a hassle, silly. Do you want to go anywhere or just hang out at the house?"

"I don't know what else we can do this late except go eat but I'm not hungry. Are you?"

Edison shook his head.

"We can go to your place. Are your parents asleep?"

"They aren't home. Remember I mentioned that they were going to my great uncle's funeral service in New York? They'll be back on Sunday.