"Then why am I swimming in dead trees?"

"Because I didn't want any strangers sitting beside us. Duh." She rolled her eyes, and then giggled. "Keep up, Jauregui."

"Wait...wait, so, why are we here?"

Camila sighed. "My mom thinks I should start spending time with other people. She thinks I'm too attached to Normani and Dinah. Well, actually, what she said was: 'Lauren es una chica muy simpática. Ella es muy estudiosa y inteligente también. Tú debes pasar el rato con ella más.' But I knew what she meant."

Lauren was quiet for a moment, trying to imagine Camila's mom telling her to hang out with a scholarship kid. Eventually, both of them had been silent for too long for the conversation to continue, so the younger girl decided to ask her something else. "How did you get away with cussing Drew out earlier?"

"I didn't cuss him out." She answered nonchalantly, twirling her straw in her iced coffee. "I just said 'the h word'."

"Yeah, well no one really thought twice about it."

She shrugged. "People usually don't question me."

Lauren didn't say anything, turning to search Camila's expressionless profile for any sign of emotion. Her bright green eyes traced over the other girl's long lashes, surprisingly adorable nose, and incredibly kissable lips. She found none. "Do you think they're hiring here?"

"What?" The older girl's eyebrows were knit together when she faced the taller girl.

"I-I said do you think I'll be able to get a job here?"

"Why do you want a job?" She sounded thoroughly disgusted by the word. 

"My parents are only paying rent for the first three months. I should probably start saving up now."

Camila paused. "And you want a job here?" 

"I do." 

"Okay." She leaned forward to set her coffee on the table in front of the couch. "I'll be right back." She straightened out her light blue button up, dark, high-waisted shorts, and fluffed up her bowless hair before marching over to the cashier. "Excuse me?" Her voice was assertive, and Lauren sat up a little more on the couch, watching intently. And it wasn't just because she was going to get a job; the back of Camila was a really nice sight. 

"Yes, how may I help you?" The girl behind the counter responded.

"Well," She glanced down at her nametag. "Troian. My friend wants a job here."

 "Oh, we-we're not hiring." Troian answered. 

Camila placed her forearms on the counter, and the other girl nervously backed up. "I'm sorry, what was that? It kind of sounded like you said 'no'?"

"I...um...i-is she here?"

"Yes."

"You can bring her over and-"

"You'll give her the job?"

She stood up a little taller. "I-I'll give her an application." 

Camila looked over at Lauren and gave her a quick nod. The other girl joined her at the counter where Troian gave her a few pieces of paper. "I'm gonna need another one for my friend." Lauren told her. Camila gave the cashier a particularly threatening glare and Lauren was handed another form.

The older girl smiled. "Thanks, Troian."

She nodded once, but still had a nervous look in her eyes.