Chapter 11

"Normani?" Thankfully, Lauren sounded more shocked and confused than angry. "What are you doing here? Ally, I thought you were asleep?"

"W-well I was..." she started.

"I texted her." Normani quickly spoke up. "I didn't get a chance to finish my essay about her."

"And we were just working on it..."

Lauren raised an eyebrow. "That didn't look like working to me."

"Lauren, you're not my mother-"

"Actually, I was just leaving."  The oldest girl stood from the couch and began to put her things back in her bag.

Ally looked up at her with wide eyes. "What?"

"I'd love to stay, but I don't want to cause a fight." She whispered.

"No, it's okay, you can stay."

"No, she's right, she should leave." Lauren interrupted them.

"Lauren!"

Normani sighed. "I'll see you tomorrow, Ally." she gave the younger girl a quick kiss on the cheek before walking out the door.

"Lauren!" She shouted again, close to tears this time. "That was really unnecessary!"

"You don't need to be hanging out with someone like her-"

"You're not my mother." she spoke through clenched teeth. "She's not a drug addict. She doesn't drink alcohol. She gets straight A's. Why don't you like her?"

"Because of the way she treats people!"

"She treats peope fine! The only thing she's done is call me a loser."

"Yeah, the only thing she's done to you is call you a loser." she yelled. "You've only been at this school for four days, Ally. You have no idea what else she's done to people."

"Neither do you!"

"Okay, I'm done. I'm done arguing with you. Just go to sleep." she turned to the stairs, ready to go back into her room.

"Lauren, please? I really, really like her. Tell me why you don't."

She sighed and slowly faced her friend again. "I'm afraid she'll take you away from me. That you'll start spending all of your time with her."

Ally's expression softened and her shoulders relaxed. "Lo, I would never-"

"And I'm deathly afraid that she really isn't who you think she is." she continued. "I know she is, because I've seen bits and pieces of that side of her myself. The good side. But I'm worried that she's faking it, and I don't want you to get hurt."

"Lauren, I'll be fine, I promise." she assured her, walking over to gently grab her hands and lead her to the couch.

"And when I saw you kiss her..." She wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

"Lo, don't cry, please don't cry." The smaller girl had only seen her best friend cry once when they were seven and she broke her wrist. "I'll be okay."

"I just...I knew that you were really starting to like her. All our lives we've helped each other stay out of trouble, Ally. But I can't do that if I'm not there when you're in danger."

She paused as the older girl wiped her eyes once again. "Tomorrow at the party."

"Yeah?" She sniffed. "What about it?"

"You can talk to her there. I'll find a way to get her alone and then you can talk to her. You know, set her straight."

Lauren chuckled as her last tear fell. "Okay. I'm sorry for getting so emotional."