The Zebra-Crossing Effect

-Loop XX-

The sky smelt blood.

Hands smeared blue; my eyes stared bloodshot.

The scent of you simmered in the baked black asphalt, and I stood blank.

The sun a stark white in the centre of the transparent ocean above me, plummeting down to earth in a quake I imagined shook the ground.

I imagined the stars breaking through the sky; the pieces of azure chinking and shattering, piercing into my dry eyes that stung in the cackling heat.

-Loop XXX-

I am a god; and this god fell into the unbecoming of his own world.

The universe folded before him, over and over; his fingers fumbled to crumple its sides to make another.

He threw the expiring existence out the window, letting it quiver in space for a chaotic second, before spiralling down to nothingness below the ground of non-existence.

This god then realized that he could not save his world, no matter how many times it was reanimated.

-Loop XXXXXX-

It was a repeating cycle of loss; a cycle he has no control over.

He was a useless god, one who could not save a mere human being from an infinite selection of transcendental events of oblivion.

And then he finally realized he was no different from being a human, who was as powerless as he was as powerful as a god.

As long as another universe was waiting, gaping back at him, anticipating his next re-enactment…

He will become euthanized.

Again and again.

No happy end.

The doomed world glared before his eyes.

-Loop 1-

You were right before my eyes.

You were my endless death.

Your hair; your skin; all twisted and distorted like fading distant buildings in the contrasting spasmic hotness.

Your breath; your sweat; you were my favourite scent.

The baked black asphalt lead nowhere.

The heat cackled.

In the blur of light and shock, I thought I saw you smile.

You smelt of blood.

-Loop 0-

My hands tremble. They sweat. I open and close my palms. The feeling keeps getting away.

The death march to you is killing me. My feet stuck on the asphalt. My body is surprisingly cold.

The impossibility of salvation. The impossibility of us. Of saving you. The impossibility of reality.

I remember I couldn’t feel the sun. I couldn’t hear your screams. I couldn’t see anything.

Seeing you kills me. Your scent keeps getting sprayed around in a shower of cackling red. These dreams are becoming a bore. Your death is now a song droning on my radio.

This has happened before. But it’s so faint that it’s almost a fraud. This has happened yesterday. Everything is so far away.

-X-

Everything is eternal. God wavered repeatedly. The universe stared wide-eyed. Even though I knew all along.

He was a coward. I always will. But I am not afraid anymore.

A time where nobody dies. Where nothing gets left behind. And we held hands in an endless waltz.

And then I let go. Before you let go.

Your face smeared blue and shock. Blinded by bright summer white. Choked by the sickening scent of my sprayed blood.

The heat frowns at my stupidity, perhaps ingenuity, and I know I’ve won.

I smile.

It ends here.

The loop breaks.

_______________________________________________

[I was inspired by a certain song with story-like lyrics almost parallel to this short. It's about a girl and a boy trapped in an endless time loop where the girl dies repeatedly while the boy tries to save her in vain. Plus, it's hot enough in my place to be considered summer.

<The wind is a sordid hot lava slapping at my face. My skin is seering with open holes, desperately clawing for cool air. The cicadas are already screaming blindly outside. Dog-day afternoons relived like eerie deja vu, our minds wheering gears that makes us dull.>

Though it seems only just to categorize this as fanfiction, I won't. Since I've already thought up of an original plot for this trial short. (Though my hard work does not show since I rarely update my account here. Either too embarrassed or too lazy... I'm also in college so sometimes I get too busy to even surf the net. Meh~ :P )

 Credits to Jin who made the amazing Kagerou Project! Thanks for the inspiration.]