Chapter 24

"Physically, she'll recover if we make sure she gets enough nourishment. Emotionally, well, I'm unsure. After enduring that much pain, many change a lot. There are cases like this where people who have been through what she's been through do recover, it just takes a long time and they are never fully the same person they used to be. Give her time." The doctor continues to talk to Lauren's parents who are both crying.

"Ok, thank you sir." Mike tearfully shakes the doctors' hand and leads him and his wife back to the waiting room. "They'll let us see her when she wakes up. For now, they said sleep is one of the best ways of recovery and we don't need to disrupt that."

"Did he say anything about Camila?" Dinah asks nervously.

"No, I didn't ask. Sorry."

"That's ok, you were worried about your daughter, it's understandable." Ally pats Mike on the back. "Did they say when they think she'll wake up?"

"Within the next few hours."

"Then we wait." Normani states.

Lauren doesn't want to open her eyes. She's not on her normal mattress Brad gave to her and Camila, so she must be in Brad, Tristan, or James room. Why can't she remember? What is she wearing? Why doesn't she feel another body in the bed? What the hell happened last night? She hears an obnoxious beeping that is growing louder and faster and finally builds up the courage to open her eyes. Where is she? What is this place? Oh god, what is in her arm? Are they trying to drug her again? No, no, no. Lauren attempts to sit up, but is too weak. So instead she yanks whatever needle is in her arm and looks around at the room. Why doesn't she remember how she got here?

"Hey." An unfamiliar voice enters the room and Lauren freaks out even more, "No, you're safe now. You're safe now."

No. She can't be safe, that's not possible. Brad said he would keep her and hurt her forever and he always stayed true to what he said he would do. No matter how painful. The woman slowly approaches Laurens bed and Laurens eyes grow increasingly wide. She covers her head with her arms, preparing herself for the blow that never comes.

"I'm just going to feel your forehead, ok? Just put your arms down so I can see if you're running a temperature. I won't hurt you; you just have to put your arms down." The woman's voice softly bounces off the walls in the room. Lauren obeys, fearing that if she does not, this woman will hurt her. This is the first person, aside from Camila, who doesn't seem like they want to hurt her, and Lauren doesn't want to change that by being the idiot Brad so often tells her she is. "Ok, thank you, I'm done. Now I know this is hard, but I need to put this back in your arm." Laurens green eyes widen and she shakes her head no. "It's not going to hurt you. I swear. Just give me your arm." Once again, Lauren obeys, fearing the worst. The needle enters her arm and Lauren winces, but doesn't dare fight against the woman. Last time she tried to fight Brad, he almost killed her from beating her so bad. That can't happen again. "Ok Lauren, your parents and friends are outside waiting to see you. We only want one person in the room with you at a time unless it's your parents for fear of overwhelming you. Who do you want to see?"

Lauren doesn't reply, she doesn't want to talk. If she does, the nice lady will hurt her, she knows she will. And how does Lauren know that her friends and family are really here? This could just be another one of Brad's sick games. The lady keeps talking to Lauren, hoping she'll just say one name, but Lauren refuses.

"Ok," the nurse gives in to Lauren's muteness, "I'll list off the people here for you and when you hear who you want to come in here, nod your head. Both your parents, Chris Jauregui, Taylor Jauregui, Normani Hamilton, Dinah Jane Hansen, Allyson Hernandez-" Lauren nods her head. If they are really here, Ally is who Lauren most wants to see. Her presence somehow eases everyone around her and Lauren has missed her a lot. "Ok, Ally it is. I'll be right back."