Chapter Fourteen: You've missed me

Just A Game [Teenlock]

Chapter Fourteen: You've missed me

*

The beds were crappy, more springs than mattress. The curtain barely managed to provide as a barrier to the sun. The plastering on the walls and ceiling was covered in cracks and the place looked like it didn't know what a hoover was.

Anyone in their right mind would have run away of they were told they were going to be staying here for anywhere between a week and two weeks. More than one night seemed like too long in this hell hole. How it was still in business was a mystery.

Although, of course, Jim wasn't in his right mind and so when Irene said they'd be staying here he had just wondered over to the bed and just curled in on himself in a half hearted attempt to catch some shut eye.

Irene didn't question him. Simply whispered a goodnight and climbed into her own uncomfortable bed. She lay awake for a long time, listening to Jim's breathing steady then change as he drifted in and out of sleep.

It annoyed her- pissed her off to no end- that Sherlock could do this to his best friend. Yes, Jim did something wrong but friends stood by one another. No matter what.

She'd say one look at Jim would tell anyone he regrets it but Irene knows that's not true. The whole thing scared Jim, sure, but it was being without Sherlock that was doing this to him.

They needed each other. Irene knew it. Jim knew it. Sherlock knew it. She just feared the boys were too stubborn to admit it. 

Two days passed that way. Jim in bed and silent. Irene worried for Jim and angry with Sherlock.

Then Jim's phone buzzed. The Irish boy had pulled himself into a sitting position, his expression blank and his mood weighing down his shoulders. While Irene was interested in the text, it cut her to see Jim this way. Part of her wished that Sherlock was here to see what he was doing to his friend.

Jim taps away at his phone, lips occasionally twitching into a small brief smile.

Sherlock. Irene guesses.

The messages end and Jim places his phone down on his bedside table. Irene was half expecting him to curl up into a ball again. To her surprise, and delight, the boy stood up and stretched. He gave her a small smile.

"Let's go eat. I'm starving and in the mood for a ridiculous and unhealthy amount of junk food" He crosses the room pick up his bag.

Irene does the same, smiling at him. They change and get their wallets/purses before they exit the shitty room and breath in gulps of fresh air like they desperately needed it. They probably did.

An hour later they were sat at a horridly orange coloured table in McDonald's surrounded by enough fries to feed ten hungry children. There wasn't any conversation for the first five minutes, just the two of them eating and filling their empty stomachs.

They slow down after five minutes, sitting back and just picking at their meals and sipping their drinks.

"What's the plan then?" Irene questions after swallowing.

Jim hums. "I want to go home"

"Alright. When do you want to leave?"

"Not yet" He shrugs, sipping from his milkshake again.

Thank you, Jim, Irene thinks sarcastically, that was completely and utterly helpful.

Irene just nods and continues to eat. They'd go home when Jim was good and ready.