Page 12

The diner wasn't as full as it normally is on the weekends, which was great cause no one likes a crowd.

I couldn't help but stay quit during dinner, it's like all words were swept clean from my thoughts.
I didn't want to seem like the talkative type or the overly gossipy but I wanted to know more about Veronica, things that only a mother can make a child embarrassed of.

Veronica seemed to be enjoying her salmon with spinach, rice and a small cup salad. I didn't focus on what the others were eating since, it didn't interest me. I had to stop my self from staring at Veronica which I ultimately failed at. The only reminder that I'd get was a kick on the leg from Veronica, she caught me a few times. A small smile would appear at the corner of her lips with each kick she managed to give me for staring too long. Counting them it's been five, five times I've stared for far to long.

Mr.Cruse seemed to be more aware of our surroundings, guess the news spread. Yet it's been three days if I'm correct that it occurred, was there something the rest of us weren't informed?

Heather rested her hand on his assuringing we were in the clear from harm, especially in a public area. No one in their right mind would attack during the day. But they're not in their right mind, who kills someone for no reason ? Or did they have one?

"Veronica, how have things been lately?" Her mother asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

"The same, why?" She asked.

"Well it's just that you being out here alone concerns me." Her mother said with care shown in her eyes.

"I'm fine, I've been fine for years. Don't start worrying now." Said Veronica. She seemed a little defensive but her mother wouldn't push her buttons, but if it were me asking, hell I'd push till she popped.

"Just know that I've always cared." Her mother informed leaving that subject on hold. Veronica smiled at her mother's words but didn't say anything instead they continued to eat the remainder of their food.

I wanted to know why all this concern now ? Veronica seems like a woman that could handle anything that comes her way, could there be more to her that she's hiding? something that she would rather forget. She wouldn't want to or ever choose to forget about Grayson, maybe about me but I believe that even if she somehow does get involved with me some part of her still blames me for his death and would ultimately want nothing to do with me.

That's what frightens me.

I didn't know I spaced out for some minutes or perhaps my face give me away, as I heard Veronicas mother call out to me. "Are you okay dear?"

"Yea, just thinking." I responded placing my utensils down my appetite long gone. All I needed right now was reassurance that Veronica wasn't going to leave me or forget about whatever we could possibly be, which might sound stupid that I needed confirmation at least something more stable.

These thoughts just made me feel like I was one of those clingy people, and I'm not, I know I'm not. Why do I always do this to myself ? as if talking to myself would make it all clear. Insane? Perhaps.
But this is sort of all knew to me. Valery taught me that a way to someone's heart was understanding how the other would feel and accepting them, no matter the faults they hide or the choices they made.

She made it sound simple, yet Valéry understood it so well and accepted the choices her mate made. Valéry once said she was simply giving her space, but I knew that was perhaps a lie she told herself to lessen the pain.

Glancing over at Veronica who seemed to be enjoying her dessert as well as Mrs. Mason as they ideally talked about the festival.

Her mother seemed to be quite the chatter box which I responded with a simple nod, not like I had good stories of my life to contribute to the topic she was talking about some time in place. As for Mr.Cruse well he seemed lost in thought just like me. We both must have not expected this sort of encounter. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but somehow I'm guessing we wanted to be alone with our significant other without explaining it to whomever it may concern.

"Once, I remember falling for a dashing young man. Although he was human I still fell for his charming smile his dimples and blue eyes that captivated me, yet dating a human was practically forbidden. That was until one of the Third Kings was supposedly forbidden from seeing his human mate. Oh how that story was engraved as a tragedy. Now that was practically living some Romeo and Juliet story. Don't you think?" she said glancing at me.

"Yea, its tragic when they simply die. But the Third King once said don't let someone rule your heart and mind. Just live for yourself and nothing can hurt you, since you only have yourself to disappoint."

"Did he really say that?" she asked confused.

"Well, no he wrote it in his journals. He didn't say it out for the public to hear more like a reminder to his family." I answered.

"How is it that you know of this if it wasn't released to the public?" she questioned.

Crap, did I just reveal myself think of something...Oh cause that's my great grandpa. Nope, this woman would practically still hold some grudge against my family for all I know. Risking my safety especially during this unknown murder case that's still lingering around our heads.

"Its something I told her. Since once I've been within the castle that I was allowed to read from the Royal Library." Veronica said covering for me, which I'm internally grateful. Although I still felt sorta exposed, especially because Mr. Cruse might end up revealing who I am to her. Some part of me hopes he knows how to keep things to himself.

Veronica knew right now wouldn't be the time to expose any werewolf heir. Its never safe outside the boundaries, not even within is it safe at the moment fear was spreading within us. Hostility and insecurities were growing rampant, that not even our own packs could give us that sense of security that's naturally given to us.

It felt like slowly our old kingdom was crumbling and there is nothing we could do to halt the sharp guillotine coming down on us.