Bookshop - Chapter 5

March 2013 - Chapter 5

Melody's pov:

God damn it, I was late for work. Oh no, not 5 or 10 minutes late. I was 2 hours late. I slept in till 11.

I never sleep in.

I've never been late to work and I've only ever not went in twice in 2 years which is pretty good. So I had to rush about.

I phoned Jai and apologised and told him I'd be in as soon as possible. He seemed a bit annoyed considering Harry hasn't showed up yet either and Lily was off sick so it was only him and Penny. But he let me off as I'm never late.

I shoved on the first thing I seen which was my tight light blue high waisted jeans, my black jumper and my white converse. My hair was sticking up in crazy places so I tied it up into a fishtail braid and let it hang over my shoulder. I don't wear much makeup anyway so I left my face bare and called a taxi because my car was still at work which sucked because waiting would make me even more late.

15 minutes later I was running from my car into waterstones stumbling trough the door and falling face first. Way to make a entrance. I looked up and saw Jai running towards me and I pulled myself up by the time he reached me.

"Are you okay?" He sounded really concerned so I smiled at him before saying "Yeah I'm all good, feeling a bit clumsy today, thanks". He sighed and then dragged me over to the counter.

"I have to be at a meeting in like 15 minutes so can you please handle this, Penny is stacking books and I've been serving customers and Harry is still not here. Tell him to come speak to me before work ends if he shows up. Thanks Melody" He quickly hugs me and speed walks to the back room probably to get everything sorted for the meeting.

I sat down in my chair ready to face the small line of angry looking customers. I apologised for the wait to each of them and breathed a sigh of relief when the last one went out the door. I feel like a mess and probably look like one too. Plus my head is killing me and the silence Is making it worse for some reason.

Never drinking again.

Jai really needs to hire more people not ones like harry who is late on his first 2 days at work and sleeps with a co worker at the first chance he gets. Speak of the devil.

In comes Harry, holding doughnuts. Hey that's my thing. I was dreading seeing him after last night and I really hoped he wouldn't come in. But on the other hand I'm happy he did because Penny doesn't seen to be doing much work, she's been on her phone ever since I stepped inside, well fell inside and Jai's leaving so id be left with a bunch of customers, a headache and no one to talk to.

I lay my head on the counter, completely exhausted.

"Melody I'm leaving, bye. Oh thanks Harry". Harry gave him a doughnut. I could just tell. I looked up at Jai for a second, smiled and lay my head back on the counter. Harry didn't come talk to me, instead he went over and helped Penny.

Today was gonna be hell.

3 hours later

I was just going for my lunch. Just. Harry had sat with Penny all day and then he'd left with her for lunch without even asking me if that's okay which means I had to work over my lunch until he came back which was 1 hour and a half later. Dick. I would have went over and attacked him if we weren't in a public place and if there weren't cameras.

And do you know what made my day 10 times worse. The cafe was closed. Why today of all days did the cafe close? The next best place was a drive which I didn't have time for. I wasn't like Harry I didn't take advantage of the fact I was best friends with the boss and I actually went along with how long my lunch lasted for.