Chapter LII

A light buzzing sound came from the bedside table. Prompto's eyes tiredly opened and he realized he was still curled up behind Lorelai, his face nestled into the back of her neck. He removed his arm that was draped over her side and shifted, propping himself up on his elbows and looking over at his phone. He slowly reached over and picked it up, checking the message on the screen. It was from Noctis.

"We'll be back to pick you two up in a bit."

Prompto set his phone back down and looked over at his girlfriend. Lorelai was still asleep and curled up with her back to him. The events of last night played through his head, causing him to smile. He lovingly gazed at the girl, admiring how tranquil and beautiful she looked at the moment. The blond carefully got up, not wanting to wake her.

He slipped out of bed, gathered both of their clothes off the floor and set them on chair, and quietly went to the bathroom. He started a warm bath and got in, soaking in the soapy water with a hum of content. It wasn't long before Lorelai awoke. She tiredly sat up and looked around, realizing that Prompto was missing. The bathroom door suddenly opened and out came Prompto with only a towel around his waist.

"Mornin', Lora," he greeted with a smile. "Sleep okay?"

She nodded and yawned. "Yeah, fine. But I'm still too tired. Can we just go back to bed instead?" She laid back down and huddled under the covers.

Prompto chuckled and approached her. "Sorry, babe, no can do. The guys will be back soon to pick us up." He leaned down toward her with a light smirk. "I must've really tired you out last night, huh?"

She covered her face with the blanket and mumbled, "That's an understatement."

Prompto took hold of the sheets and pulled them off of her. "Not my fault you don't have as much energy as me." She groaned in reply. The gunman swiftly scooped her up in his arms, laughing lightly. "C'mon, I'm only kidding. You know I love you."

She couldn't help but giggle as she wrapped her arms around his neck to hold on. "Love you too, Prompto."

She kissed his lips and he carried her to the bathroom. He set her on her feet and left, closing the door partway. Lorelai started a bath and got in, washing her skin and hair. After getting out and draining the water, she wrapped a towel around herself. She went over to the sink and started wringing the excess water from her hair. Gazing into the mirror, she noticed something that made her gasp.

At that moment, Prompto, now dressed, poked his head in. "Hey, I brought your clothes."

She looked over at him with irritation. "Prompto."

The blond immediately picked up on her annoyed tone. "What? What'd I do?"

She pointed to her neck and collarbone where numerous small, red marks littered her skin. "How am I supposed to explain this to the others?"

Prompto shrugged and stepped inside, placing her normal clothes on the counter. "You don't have to explain anything. I'm pretty sure they know what love bites are."

She turned her head away. "Still... it's embarrassing."

Prompto cheerfully smiled and moved over to stand behind her. "Here, just cover them with your hair."

He took her black hair and pulled it around the front of her neck and draped it over her other shoulder. She stared at her reflection. Her hair looked like it formed a scarf around her neck.

"Gee, that looks natural," she stated sarcastically. She fixed her hair back the way it was and sighed. "Never mind, it's fine."

Prompto hugged her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, babe. I couldn't control myself. You drive me crazy."

He buried his face into the crook of her neck and planted kisses along a few of the red marks. Lorelai smiled, leaning back against him.

"It's alright. Not like I can stay mad at you."

The gunman pulled away, grinning happily. "Get dressed. We can meet the others in the parking lot."

He hurried out of the bathroom, letting the girl get dressed. Once finished, they gathered their things and left the hotel. They walked down the street, hand in hand, all the way to the parking lot. They stood by the railing and talked, waiting for their friends. Before long, the Regalia pulled into the parking lot. The two rushed over to the car.

"Hey, guys, how'd it go?" Prompto asked.

"Great," Noctis replied. "Got the mythril, now we're ready to take it to Cid in Caem." Lorelai and Prompto both got in their usual seats in the car. "What about you two?"

"We had a great time," the girl answered. "It was like a little vacation."

Gladio smirked and crossed his arms, spotting the love bites. "I'll bet. Judging by those marks on your neck, I'd say you just had the night of your lives."

Lorelai immediately blushed and covered her neck the best she could. "N-Not my fault," she muttered.

Ignis sighed, pulling out of the parking lot. "I do hope you took the necessary precautions."

"Guys," Prompto interrupted, "can we please get off this subject? It's not that big a deal."

"It kinda is," Noctis said. "You were the last person I'd expect that from, Prompto."

"Hey!" The blond turned in his seat, scowling back at the prince. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

Noctis casually rested his hands behind his head. "Oh, nothing."

"Just consider yourself lucky," the shield told the gunman. "You've got yourself a fine lady."

Prompto hummed, a smile gracing his lips. "I know. Lora's the best."

His gaze fell on her and she found herself smiling back at him. She then glanced at the others. "And I want you all to know that I'm in this with you guys." Her eyes focused on the prince beside her. "Noct, I know you've got a lot ahead of you. But as one of your friends, I'll follow you to the end. You all have done so much for me - given my life new meaning. I'm indebted to you, all of you."

Everyone smiled at that. "It's reassuring to know you have the resolve to continue with us," the advisor said. "Our journey with His Highness will prove difficult, and we have no way of knowing what may await us down this path. But knowing you'll be joining us brings a great deal of comfort."

Gladio nudged her with his elbow. "You've practically been one of us since we first joined up."

Noctis flashed her a faint smile. "I can certainly rest easier knowing I've got one more watching my back."

"We make the best team ever!" Prompto cheered. "I'm pretty sure we can face just about anything!"

"No telling what events may unfold in Altissia," Ignis said.

"But we'll face it together," Lorelai added. "I know we can do just about anything when we work as a team."

"You took the words right outta my mouth," the prince said.

And so, the five friends headed for Cape Caem. Lorelai's own little journey had ended. She had been through so much with her companions' aid. She learned how to better wield her magic and discovered her heritage that related her to Noctis, and not to mention the love she now felt toward Prompto.

For Lorelai, those four men had brought so much meaning to the her once dull lifestyle. She couldn't be happier to have met them. It finally seemed like all the sacrifices her mother, Purnima, and her people made had a meaning. Everything they had told her about living her life and not letting the past bring her down was exactly what she was doing now, thanks to the friends she had made. And now, she would gladly follow them to the ends of Eos, because they all meant the world to her.