Chapter XLIX

Prompto placed an arm around Lorelai's shoulder. "What do you mean you 'feel at home' here?"

She smiled, looking around at the magiteks and city. "I just mean this place reminds me of Siderum. It's so comforting."

"To you, maybe," Noctis stated. "It's kinda creepy to me."

Lorelai laughed lightly. "If you had ever been to Siderum, you'd understand."

"Well, since we can safely have a look around, I say we find out where the source of energy is," Ignis said. "We need to figure out where it's originating from."

"You guys do that," the girl said. "I've got some stuff of my own to figure out."

Noctis, Ignis, and Gladiolus began looking around. Prompto decided to go with his girlfriend instead, eager to lend her a hand. Lorelai approached the kneeling magiteks, unsure of how to speak to them.

"E-Excuse me, is there a library around here?"

Two of the soldiers rose to their feet. They both held out their hands to her while also pointing down the streets. "That way?"

She slowly took both of their hands and they began tugging her along. Prompto followed after them. They went down a few streets and arrived at a large building. The two magiteks let go of her and pointed at the building.

"This is it? Thank you." She looked over at her boyfriend. "Let's go on in."

The two entered the old building. "So, what are you looking for exactly?" Prompto asked.

Lorelai immediately began scanning the many shelves of books. "Books that'll give me an idea of my heritage. Since Ardyn teased me with information, I'm going to find out for myself just what's so special about my ancestors."

The blond grinned. "Nice! I'll help you out the best I can."

The two began skimming the many shelves of dust-covered books. It took some time, but they finally managed to find a few books on the subject they were looking for. But as they were flipping through the pages, the front doors of the library opened and in strolled their three friends.

"You won't believe what we found," the shield said.

"There appears to be a generator that powers the city with light," the advisor explained. "I believe it's the source of the monsters running rampant. The energy it emits is sure to be immense."

"But why has it just now been causing problems?" the gunman asked.

"We can't know for certain," Ignis answered. "But if I were to guess, I'd have to say it was the buildup of energy from it lying dormant for so long."

"You should definitely check it out, Lora," Noctis told her.

She looked up from the book she was glancing through. "I will, just give me a minute. I think I've found something."

Her friends waited patiently as she read. Lorelai scanned the words with wide eyes, taking in every bit of information. Once finished, she closed the book and looked over at them.

"Wow. Okay, so turns out there were some magic users in Solheim. They were regarded as higher ups who used their powers of light to fuel their magitek creations. So, if I have that kind of magic, then that must mean that I descended from one of them."

"That's really cool!" Prompto exclaimed with excitement.

"Fascinating," Ignis added. "That answers one thing. But that still leaves your weapon summoning magic a mystery."

The girl sighed. "Yeah, I know. But that's half of it, at least." She placed the book back on its shelf. "Show me that generator you mentioned."

The group left the library. Magiteks began following them as they headed to the generator. It was a large, orb-shaped machine in the center of the city that glowed with a red light. At a close proximity, Lorelai could actually feel the waves of magical energy emanating from it.