Chapter VIII

The Regalia pulled into the outpost, parking next to the gas pumps. After getting out and stretching, the group met Dave at the small outdoor restaurant. He stood by a table, waiting, with his dog lying at his feet. The man met them with a small smile.

"Well if it ain't Noctis and his companions." Dave looked to Lorelai. "Lora, you didn't tell me you'd be bringing these boys with you."

The girl shrugged, pulled out a chair, and made herself comfortable. "They decided to tag along." She then leaned on her elbows against the table as the others took their seats. "Now, tell me what happened."

Dave sighed, leaning forward in his seat and gazing at Lorelai across from him. "A hunter took on your request and headed up the mountain the other day, hasn't come back yet. Another couple of hunters scouted the area and couldn't find him, so we all assumed he had gone to the summit and gotten killed by that bird. Which means there should be three dog tags up there now."

Lorelai hung her head down a bit. "I see. Three tags to keep my locket company." Her eyes then locked onto the man. He could see the determination in them. "But now, that's going to change. We're taking the request and we'll bring back the tags and my necklace."

"If you feel you're up for it," Dave said. "But you should rest up and go tomorrow. It's getting late, and facing that beast in the dark would be suicide."

The group agreed and rented the caravan for the night. Ignis cooked up a warm meal and the five got themselves cleaned up before heading to bed. Being one bed short, Gladio decided to sleep on the the floor between the beds. Lorelai situated herself on one of the bottom bunks. Prompto climbed up to the one above her. Lorelai kept a small lamp lit next to her bed while watching Ignis and Noctis turn off the lights and get into their own beds.

"I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm used to having a little light while I sleep," Lorelai said apologetically, dimming the light a bit.

"Not at all," Ignis answered. "Whatever makes you comfortable."

She smiled slightly and laid her head down on her pillow. The five said their goodnights and went straight to bed. The following morning, the group ate breakfast, took the request, and began their ascent to Ravatogh's peak. They came across a few spiracorns toward the base of the mountain, but dispatched them without a problem.

"So, Lora, from what you said to Dave yesterday, the item you lost is a necklace?" Noctis questioned as the group carefully climbed a steep slope.

Lorelai nodded, her eyes scanning the ground around her to find the right footing. "A locket, to be exact. My mother gave it to me when I was little, it's the only thing I have left of her. That's why... I really want to find it."

It grew quiet and the five made it to the top of the slope. They crossed a rocky path that bridged over a gap and fought a few wyverns. They were then forced to climb a couple of small cliffs. Lorelai summoned her scythe and separated each end. Weilding a scythe in each hand, she used the blades like hooks to aid her in climbing.

"Ugh, Lora's lucky she has an easier way to climb," Prompto whined between his heavy breathing. He struggled to haul himself up the cliffside.

"Stop your bitching," Gladio told him. The muscular man made his way up with ease compared to the blond.

Lorelai was the first to the top with Gladiolus close behind her. Ignis and Noctis were the next ones to the top with Prompto straggling behind, whining the whole way.

"Ugh, my arms can't take anymore!" The blond whined. "They feel like they're gonna fall off!"

Gladio rolled his eyes. Once Prompto was in range, Gladio reached down and grabbed him by the arm, hauling him up onto the ledge with them. Prompto laid on the ground on his back, breathing heavily as if he'd just run a marathon. Lorelai crouched next to him.