Chapter XXXVIII

"Stay on guard," Lorelai advised, creeping through the dark with her friends. "Do NOT let it spit venom on you. I really don't want another frog problem."

"You and me both," Prompto said.

The five friends repeated their trek through Fociaugh Hollow, this time sticking closer together so as not to get separated again. It didn't take long for them to make it to the large, open cavern where the naga resided last time. They followed the path through the stalagmites and stalactites and stopped at the end. They looked around, the only sound being the dripping of water.

"Where'd it go?" Gladio questioned, not really expecting an answer.

They suddenly felt a low rumble beneath their feet and jumped back. The naga shot up out of the ground, landing in front of them. It stared at them as it did before.

"... My baby... Where is he..."

"We don't know!" Lorelai snapped, summoning her weapon. "Now let's just finish this you overgrown worm!"

The serpent hissed angrily and lunged at her. She jumped over it, slicing its head as she went. A large portion of its dark hair was chopped off in the process. The others joined in the fray. The daemon got ready to spit venom at them.

"Look out!" Lorelai warned.

It spat venom at Ignis, who backflipped out of the way, and at Noctis, who warped to dodge. It then turned its gaze to the gunman again. It spat venom at him, but fortunately Lorelai was close by and tackled him out of the way. The two went rolling across the ground, finally stopping with Prompto on top of Lorelai. They stared in shock at each other, flustered by the position they were in. Gladiolus called out to them, getting their attention. The blond quickly took the girl's hand and pulled her up with him. They both rejoined the fight.

The naga was getting sick of the prince's warping and finally caught him. It's coils constricted around him, crushing him. Ignis and Gladio both jumped onto it, slicing and stabbing it until it finally released Noctis with a cry of pain. It then swiped its tail at them, forcing them back. Prompto repeatedly shot at its face, leaving it disoriented and hissing in pain. Lorelai leapt onto the back of its neck, driving one of her blades into its flesh. It cried out and writhed in pain as the girl carved her scythe through its flesh.

After a moment, the naga finally collapsed, its life fading. "... I want to see... My baby..."

"No more suffering," Lorelai muttered to it.

In the next moment, the daemon was dead. Lorelai let her weapon disperse and backed away from the creature as it turned to smoke like all daemons do when they die.

"We did it," Noctis said. "We put her out of her misery and kept anyone else from getting attacked by that thing."

"And no one got turned into a frog!" Prompto cheered. "That went way better than expected!"

"Indeed," Ignis agreed. "Looks like we all came out unscathed."

Noctis already started leaving. "We're done here. Now let's go."

They all followed the prince out of Fociaugh Hollow. The rain outside had finally stopped as well. They got into the Regalia and left the cavern behind. They headed to the Chocobo Post, which was the nearest rest stop. It was a short drive there, but a conversation between a couple of hunters immediately caught their attention.

"Still no idea how to retrieve that stolen weapon," one man said.

The woman he was talking to answered, "I don't think we even can. If daemons really broke in and stashed it away in Costlemark, then it's probably gone for good."

"I blame whoever built the tomb out in the open just south of those old ruins."

"So there's a tomb south of here?" Ignis inquired. "But the weapon's been stolen by the sound of it."

"It's still early," Noctis said. "I say we go check it out."

"I'm all for it," Gladio stated with a nod of approval. "We need all the help we can get from your ancestors if we're gonna take down the empire."

"Back to the car," Lorelai said, turning on her heel.

They drove south past the large ruins of Costlemark and investigated the area. They found the tomb with ease, but just as the hunters had said, the door was shattered to pieces that were strewn across the floor. Inside, the weapon was indeed missing. There was a note lying at the head of the tomb. Everyone crowded around to read it.

"Seems like Costlemark is the place they assume the weapon was taken to," Lorelai said. "So? We going?"

"Course we are," the prince replied. "We're taking back that weapon."

"Oh, what a marvelous idea."

Everyone twisted around to see Ardyn standing outside. All five carefully exited the tomb and stood before the man.

"Oh, great," Gladio sarcastically said. "What do you want?"

Prompto stood closely by Lorelai as Ardyn spoke, "I'm simply here to give you a little helpful advice." Everyone was wary but listened to what he had to say. "You're on the right track. The weapon you seek is in Costlemark. But you don't want to go there, at least, Lorelai doesn't."

Lorelai narrowed her eyes. "What are you talking about? I do too want to go."

Ardyn chuckled, his permanent smile never faltering. "Trust me, my dear, you don't. That's a very dangerous place for you. I recommend not going there."

"And what if I don't listen?" she questioned rebelliously.

The man sighed. "Then I may just have to persuade you. Perhaps I'll pay a visit to your dragon friend."

Lorelai gasped before scowling angrily. "Don't you dare go anywhere near her!" Her fear fading, the girl pushed past her friends and summoned her scythe. "She's already dying!"

She swung her weapon but he disappeared into thin air. He reappeared behind her, and as soon as Lorelai whirled around to swing at him again, he snatched her by the neck. He effortlessly lifted her off the ground, his fingers squeezing her throat, choking her. She struggled and buried one of the scythe's blades into his arm, but her attempts didn't even phase him.

"Lora!" the others yelled, summoning their weapons.

"Ah, ah, ah, no interfering or someone might get hurt," Ardyn said with a chuckle, looking at Lorelai as he strangled her.

"Let her go, you bastard!" Prompto shouted, aiming his gun at the man. His anger got the best of him.

"Very well," Ardyn said. "But heed my words, going to those ruins will have serious consequences."

With that, he threw the girl down and disappeared. Lorelai sat up, coughing and gasping for air as she rubbed her neck. Her friends immediately rushed to her side. Prompto crouched next to her, carefully taking her hand and rubbing her back.

"Lora, you okay?" he asked with worry.

She nodded, slowly regaining her ability to breathe and speak. "Y-Yeah." Her voice was low and shaky. "I'm alright."

"Perhaps we should postpone our trip to the ruins," Ignis advised. "We can camp at a haven and take some time to-"

"No," Lorelai interrupted, slowly standing with Prompto's help. "I'm fine, really. We need to go to Costlemark and retrieve the weapon. There's no reason to prolong that."

"You sure?" Gladio questioned. "It won't hurt to take a break."

The girl smiled. "I'm positive."

"Then I guess that settles it," Noctis said. "Looks like we're going to Costlemark."